74' 620 locking up rear brakes.

dimedriver

I got under the truck to loosen up the ebrake a little. And found a strange looking thing on the passanger side cable taking up slack. I loosened that up so it was no longer taking up any slack. The new drum fit a little better but still too tight. The old drum dropped right on. Minimal drag. I'm going to get the new one turned. I drove it around the block. Pedal is still a little spongy. Still needs a double pump to lock up the wheels. I need to bleed it again anyway. Its way better than before. Now its time to tune the bias valve.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, are we making progress then by getting the rear working correctly first?

Sounds like it.

Your pedal is never going to be perfect with those huge front calipers, but you should be able to get it acceptable. Without rear lockup.

Yeah, drove the truck around the block two days ago and remembered I didn't put new cotter pins in the crown nuts for the steering.

Today I bleed the whole system again with the valve turned to full presser in the back. Then turned it all the to min for back. Then messed with the idle and topped up the oil. Then I drove the truck to the gas station and the pedal feel is not great but it's working if it was just a little stiffer it would be awesome for a truck. But its just about as soggy as any GM full size I have ever driven. No great not so bad im scared. I don't need to double pump:). This is the 1st time the truck has been out of the garage for more than a test in the driveway in a year. Im going to go to a gravel road and fine tune the brake proportioning valve soon.

Next up fix up the steering maybe add power steering while still planing for bigger axles. Oh and maybe put some new piston rings and seals in the engine. It burns and leaks oil pretty good.

-Dime

Trailered truck to Hollister on Sunday.

Forgot to try and do a panic stop while someone was watching.

here are a few pics.

IMG_20110717_161659.jpg

IMG_20110717_161637.jpg

It felt pretty good descending some hills. The rotors now have much less cross hatching on them. I guess its working pretty good but I would still like to fully test it.

-Dime

Hybrid Z had a review of the Wilwood unit. Looks like it can fit with some grinding.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/99845-review-of-wilwood-1-bore-brake-master-cylinder/page__p__940121__hl__s12w__fromsearch__1#entry940121

So far I have not seen any issues. I will get some more testing in maybe next week or so.

-Dime