interchangeable igniton coils & other electronics?

I'm trying to get some parts scraped up for when I go replacing old & crusty stuff in my 86 D21 z24I while engine is being done in the near future. I may have missed something even though I read through a few posts on ignitions. I was curious about what oem ignition goodies would interchange from make & model other then the obvious same style nissan goodies? A buddy mentioned something about ignition coils from the older dodge vehicles (not sure what model) and a few others that would be considered stock but would "wake up" an engine like mine.

Also are there any other electronic goodies out of another nissan or other makes that would be useful to replace anything of mine with? I have mechanic buddies but they're only interested in blowing up stuff & going as fast as they can on what ever it is they are riding in, on, over,around, under or through. lol. So here I am in the pool of smart people! lol I appreciates as usual!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The stock ignition and coil is good enough. Adding 10 or 20 thousand extra volts won't 'wake up' a motor. You already have the dual spark plug motor so very hard to improve on that.

You could rip out the EFI and put an older 720 intake, 32/36 Weber and distributor on to wake it up but the EFI (when working right)is far superior for starting, running and economy under all weather conditions than a carb. Everything but performance.

Rather than mucking with the EFI, swap in a lower differential like 4.375 for instant torque increase.