Locked Up

jputz

Alright engine gurus, heres a question for ya.

My 75 620 "parts truck" i recently purchased has a seized L20 in it. When I bought the truck I could turn the engine by hand but when I got it home it wouldnt turn at all so I did the usual stuff, removed the plugs, sprayed some PB Blaster in it, and let it sit. No luck... Then tried trannny fluid, no luck. Then decided it was time to pull it apart to check everything. Well I was told it had been rebuilt before it was parked due to brake issuses. From the looks of things the bottom end hasnt been touched since 1975!!!! Anyways, I got the head off of it and all the pistons are sitting about half way up the cylinders, so I filled the empty part of the cylinders up with PB Blaster and let it sit over night, thinking that I just hadn't let it sit long enough. No luck, still seized up tighter than dicks hatband. Cleaned all the PB out and tried again with tranny fluid. Now it has been sitting for three days and is still tight. The first three cylinders have all leaked past the rings and are about empty now but #4 is still full, hasnt lost a drop. My question is does anywone have any suggestions on what else to try before I pull the block and tear apart the bottom end?

Thanks in advance

Josh

Oh yeah will try to post some pics later today so you can see what I am working with...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright engine gurus, heres a question for ya.

My 75 620 "parts truck" i recently purchased has a seized L20 in it. When I bought the truck I could turn the engine by hand but when I got it home it wouldnt turn at all so I did the usual stuff, removed the plugs, sprayed some PB Blaster in it, and let it sit. No luck... Then tried trannny fluid, no luck. Then decided it was time to pull it apart to check everything. Well I was told it had been rebuilt before it was parked due to brake issuses. From the looks of things the bottom end hasnt been touched since 1975!!!! Anyways, I got the head off of it and all the pistons are sitting about half way up the cylinders, so I filled the empty part of the cylinders up with PB Blaster and let it sit over night, thinking that I just hadn't let it sit long enough. No luck, still seized up tighter than dicks hatband. Cleaned all the PB out and tried again with tranny fluid. Now it has been sitting for three days and is still tight. The first three cylinders have all leaked past the rings and are about empty now but #4 is still full, hasnt lost a drop. My question is does anywone have any suggestions on what else to try before I pull the block and tear apart the bottom end?

Thanks in advance

Josh

Oh yeah will try to post some pics later today so you can see what I am working with...

So it turned over fine when u bought it but once it got home it didn't??

Stupid question but are you sure its not in gear??

Micro, no it wont turn either way...

Monkey, believe me the thought has crossed my mind many times... just dont know if I want to keep this truck as my 74 is in alot better shape and running just need a center support bearing.

I have 5 engines at the house right now.

L16 - Currently in my 69 510

L18 - Currently running in my 74 620

L20 - Seized up Currently in my dads "parts truck" 75 620

KA24E - Needs rebuild and manual trans Currently in my s13

VG30E - Pulled from 86 300zx in Dec Currently Sitting on a tire in my shed with intentions of dropping it in my 510 once the body work is done.

So I have options I would like to be able to unstick the L20 so that I have another option.