Tranny /clutch issue

Hey- I normally work on Old Honda motorcycles, but I also have a 1982 Datsun Maxima that I love. Something happened yesterday with the clutch or transmission that I haven't encountered before. <BR itxtNodeId="651"><BR itxtNodeId="650">As I was driving, it became harder to get it to go into gear until finally something happened while I was shifting and when I let off the clutch, the wheels locked up and I came screeching to a stop in the middle of the road. <BR itxtNodeId="649"><BR itxtNodeId="648">When I take it out of gear, it rolls freely. I can hold the stick up against first gear, but not quite pop it into gear, and then get it to limp forward a bit - smells like clutch is burning (how I got it off the road) but in gear-it kills the motor when I let off the clutch. I am about to drop the tranny and have a look to see if it's toast, and I'd like to know what else to look for. Any one have this happen to them? My dad (NOT a mechanic) said it might be a servo in the clutch- but he's been known to talk out his a55.

Any help is appreciated, I don't know as much about this machine as my bikes...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like it's the tranny and it's not likely an easy fix, other than just replacing it.

Check the oil level in the tranny. The bung is about half way up the side and you should be able to reach in and touch i he oil with the tip of your finger. Pretty hard to seize one when full of oil. Is there oil wetness at the drive shaft end or at the join point of the engine from a failed seal.

Sounds like it's the tranny and it's not likely an easy fix, other than just replacing it.

Check the oil level in the tranny. The bung is about half way up the side and you should be able to reach in and touch the oil with the tip of your finger. Pretty hard to seize one when full of oil. Is there oil wetness at the drive shaft end or at the join point of the engine from a failed seal.

Thanks for the correction- It's one of the big ones on the main shaft, and a small one on the counter shaft. (Is that bc fourth is direct?)

Also- are there any z car transmissions that would bolt up to this bell housing an function ok? I guess I'd be happy knowing ANY transmission interchangeability!

Yes.

5 speeds were an option on the Maxima starting in '79 so that's one source for them.

If you want exact matching internal gear ratios then the '77-'79 280z and zx (first year only) and the '77 and '78 620 truck 5 speed is the one.

Most 2wd '81-'86 720 5 speeds are the same ratios (BUT) You will need to seap your L bellhousing onto it, some are shorter than yours and your shifter may not work on it... you could use the truck shifter.

Awsome. There is a 77 280z at the local yard. I think I'll try that. Thanks for the info...

The 620 truck and 280z/zx had the 5 speed as an option only so that car may not have it. There were no 4 speeds on the '80-'83 280zx but they had different ratios. Not saying the later 280zx 5 speed won't work, it sure will, it just has fifferent gearing and a much taller overdrive 5th gear.

• 1 month later...

Ok- sorry to revive a dead topic- but same car: The yard crushed my donor 280 z before I got to pull the tranny.

So if I got this right, I'm scouring Craigslist for a tranny from one of the following:

'77-'79 280z and zx (first year only) + '77 and '78 620 truck

Also- quote "Most 2wd '81-'86 720 5 speeds are the same ratios (BUT) You will need to seap your L bellhousing onto it, some are shorter than yours and your shifter may not work on it... you could use the truck shifter."

- would any machining be necessary for "seaping the bellhousing onto it?"

I can do a whole bunch with torches, wrenches, grinders and welders- but unfortunately I have no machining capabilities at the moment...

There are lots of possibilities for 5 speeds that will 'drop into' your Maxima that already have an L series front on them and will bolt to your motor.

The same 5 speed was also used with the CA, SD, and Z series motors and only needs the front case swapped to convert it to use on your car.The best exact swap would be one from an '81-'84 Maxima but the '77-'78 620, '77-'78 280z and '79 280zx will also be close to a perfect match for ratios. The '79 620 and the '81-'83 280zx will work but the ratios are different.

If you swap your L front case onto the following you can 'convert' for use on the Maxima.

Most long (31.5") 720 2wd truck 5 speeds will work. The SD diesel truck 5 speeds will also work but the ratios are different. 4X4 transmissions do not have the speedometer drive in them and are no good for this. The '80-'83 200sx 5 speeds will work with the '82 and '83 being the best ratios. The '84-'86.5 S12 200sx with CA20 motors have the best ratios. The CA18ET turbo 5spd has the wrong ratios but also will work.

Most of the above will swap the front case with no other modifications however there were some changes to be aware of. Around '84/'85 the front counter bearing was enlarged and won't fit the Maxima case so just pull it off and use the one that is currently on the Maxima transmission. Also the top (1st/2nd) shift rod may have been enlarged from 14mm to 16mm and won't fit the Maxima case unless you drill it out. At most you need a small gear puller and a 16mm drill on top of a pair of snap ring pliers and a 12mm wrench needed to swap the cases with.

Thanks. That is some useful info. I went on craigslist looking for a transmission from a z car and ended up getting a 210 with a 5 speed swap. So now I'm still looking for a transmission for the maxima, but got an extra 210 (in good running condition+) and tranny for the cost of a running Honda 650 and a 360 basket case. I think we both won.

Thanks again for the thorough post, that helps me ALOT with my search for a workable solution for my maxima.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went to Burleson to get a 5 speed from a 78 z. 2 hour drive each way, got home at 2 am. Had a long day swapping out transmission and fixing a hole in my gas tank. Another topic on that...

It was really freaking hot, and I did the swap without a lift, in true redneck fashion and my kiddos wanted to go swimping with all the hipsters at Barton Springs, so we quit and went swimming...

Anyhow- add gear oil and gas in the morning and see how I did. Thanks for all the info on compatibility, etc...