seam welding

at this point in my 510 build the car is striped and at a point where it would be very easy to start welding up the seams. Has anyone done this to their car? dosnt seem like a very tough project and from what i have read it really stiffens up the body and since i plan on auto crossing and putting a role bar in it so might as well go all the way to make it a bit more trackable on a Ratsun budget

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know some people weld the strut tower seam. Helps keep them where they belong. Just make sure to get the car level on the jack stands before you start your welding. No sense in welding everything up just to cause problems when your done.

Just wanted to make sure to throw that out there. I went to a friends house to help him with putting a camper back together. I got there and the camper was so screwed up because he didn't level it before he started to put new ply on the roof. We ended up having to take 90% of the screws out of the camper roof and front panel and start all over again. He just laughed and said oh, hadn't thought of that. Dip shit!

at this point in my 510 build the car is striped and at a point where it would be very easy to start welding up the seams. Has anyone done this to their car? dosnt seem like a very tough project and from what i have read it really stiffens up the body and since i plan on auto crossing and putting a role bar in it so might as well go all the way to make it a bit more trackable on a Ratsun budget

yep, it's worth the effort, an old trick used on Track and Rally cars for years, although not a legal mod in some types of racing.

Makes the car stronger and handle better.

Just keep in mind: 1) The 40 year old sheet metal is easily blown thru and 2) Your lines (fuel) running on the other side of your fender. If anything, it’s an inexpensive upgrade, and stitch welds look cool! I'm not the greatist welder but here is a pick of mine in its early stages:

022.jpg?t=1303878205