Tire Aspect Ratio

I'm interested in buying XXR 002's. They are now made in 15x8 and 15x9 with some good offsets. My 4 door is ZG flared. I want to daily it again like before. My question, 195/??R15 front and 205/??R15 rear or maybe 205 front and 215 rear (I like meety tires).

Aspect ratio?? what are benefits of 50 series or 55 series??

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Running smaller or larger tires screws with your effective ratio, which gives more or less power, and more or less mileage. Sidewall height increases or decreases sidewall deflection, which in turn affects grip. If you drive on rough roads with big potholes, you want a lot of sidewall to absorb that. (60 series or better) If you're on the track, 50 series or less is great for control and feel.

How that tire size works is the first number is the width of the tire in millimeters. The aspect ratio is a percentage. 60 percent of 215 for instance, if a 215/60/15, and you have to multiply that by two since there are two sidewalls (top,bottom) and then add the rim size (last number 15). Calculate all that out and you'll have an idea of what dimensions you're running.

Keep in mind, bigger (taller or wider) tires will decrease your power and raise your effective gear ratio, not your actual rear gear ratio, the effective ratio.

Visit this site for more info. http://www.4lo.com

No problem. If you have excel, you can put those equations into the fields and it makes a quick and easy comparison. I have one all marked out with width in inches/ sidewall in inches, etc. As much as I like metric, relating 215mm is still easier if you say 8.46 inches. And if you don't know the conversion, 25.4mm are in an inch. So 215/25.4= 8.46ish, doesn't go in even, but you get the idea.

• 2 weeks later...