510 engine or trasmission problems?

v-juice

im have trouble with my 1972 510 it starts and it sounds good but soon as i put it in gear it just dies on me it only stays on when its in park or nutral i havent been able to find anyone that know anything and when i do find someone they all give me different answers...so if you might have any ideas of what it could be please let me know.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK There are an infinite number of possible things that cause poor idle when the automatic is put in gear. I assume you have stock carb?

In order, I would.....

Check and adjust the valve lash with the engine hot. http://community.ratsun.net/topic/16539-l-series-valve-adjustment/

Adjust the idle speed and mixture: Turn the idle down slightly with the idle adjust screw. It's the one near the throttle linkage and to the rear of the carb. Next, turn the idle mixture screw in or out till the engine stumbles... find a mid point where the idle is strong and even. Adjust the idle speed down until nice and even. Repeat the mixture adjustment to find the fastest even idle, turn the idle down to 750-850. repeat mixture and idle adjust until you cannot improve it any further.

Now set the ignition timing to 12 degrees before TDC. If ignition plugs/wires/cap and rotor are in good shape it should idle in gear now.