Stock rear axles/halfshafts

Dyl510

Quick question for anyone who has learned the hard way....

Roughly how much HP/Torque and abuse will the stock Datsun rear axle shafts hold up to?

I've recently put an SR20DET in my 72 510, and looking to upgrade the rear end to an R180 LSD... but keeping the stock halfshafts scares me a little. It's just a mild SR... 220HP maybe... think I should be worried?

I've driven it a bit with no issues, but as soon as that LSD goes in there I'm sure it will be seeing some more abuse in some parking lots.... which worries me even more about using stock halfshafts.

Any opinions on this? Or should I just put in some new U-joints and call it a day.

I've read that the stock axles go kaboom around the 350HP mark which kinda surprised me they would handle up to that.

Cheers!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets not worry about my money issues fellas... just needing an answer to my question is all.

cheers

But if you must know... I could fork out the cash for $900 axles but if my stock ones will work just fine I would like to use that $900 elsewhere.....

I guess all I was saying is that if you're doing a build that seems to spare no expense, there's no point in cutting corners. I imagine there are alot of SR 510s running around with stock axles.. go search through the build threads and I'm sure you'll find your answers there about "is it possible?". I'm sure it's 'possible', but not ideal. Seemed as though you were going the 'ideal' route, so I inserted the question as I see fit. I'm not worried about your money issues. Could care less. You just inserted enough info to catch my ear and push my "huh?" button.

It's usually a good thing to go with your gut. If there's any hesitation about it, I'd pay attention to that. Perhaps once you lay your hands on the r180, you may wait until you have an upgraded set of axles to put it in, just to be on the safe side. Unless you have one lined up already, I'd say unless you have some serious flow, you're going to be searching for a while for an 'inexpensive' r180 LSD. They're not exactly abundant.

As I'm sure you know, it's not the HP that will hammer the u-joints/axles, but the torque. If you're doing some serious power transfer from the engine to the parking lot via your smokey black tires, then there is going to be some serious torque present.

I have a possible line on a decent priceds LSD R180... so I'm hoping the deal goes through. The torque produced by the SR's is a lot for such a small light car... but in comparison to other high output engines the stock 200-225 ft/lbs isn't a heck of a lot... which is why I'm thinking stock 510 axles/ujoints should be okay

Just hoping to find someone who has some exoperience on just how much they will hold

yes I'm aware of the concept that spending money means you have a better product.

Can someone please just not give me input on what I should buy and give me an honest opinion on what stock 510 rear axles will handle. That's the only question I have.

thanks.