200SX

I found this on the jalpoyjournal.com.

Re: Dealer stories

Well., yes now that you ask. About 1979 or 80 I was a Datsun dealer. This guy came in and was looking for car for his girl friend. Brought her back that evening and she was interested in the 200SX, a sporty little coupe. We put them into it, him driving, btw, it was a 5 speed, and sent them out for a test drive. A little while later they returned and stopped in front of the show room, but at a right angle to it, not pointed toward it.

Suddenly the engine roared, the car leaped forward and glanced off three other new cars parked in front of the showroom, damaging the front ends of all three plus serious damage to the 200SX front and side. She got confused, floored the engine and sidestepped the clutch.

Well, if that wasn't bad enough, they just hurried to their car and left. Worse, once I found out who her insurance company was, I learned a very valuable lesson. My reasoning was, she damaged my cars, she is liable, her insurance should pay the damages. Not so. The rule is, "the insuance follows the car". In other words, whoever owns the car and insures it, is on the hook for the damage, because the driver was doing so with the permission of the owner. Cost me quite a bit at the time, deductibles you know. Not to mention four previously undamaged new cars now with repairs that had to be disclosed to a purchaser and the 'discount' required to compensate them for the 'damage history'...................

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic