Programmable Datsun Dizzy

brodster

Now I have more ideas. I didn't even think of taking another ECU and reprogramming the EEPROM. Using the 200sx ECU has always concerned me because it was designed for a specific motor. That would be awesome if you could use the computer and reprogram it at will. That would be way cheaper than megasquirt! Thanks for these links.

yeah thats what i was talking about "piggy backing an arduino to a base ecu", you use the arduino as the mod, only issue is... if the arduino loses power, or connection, its command over the ecu in moot... and the ecu becomes a babling idiot since it has no clue whats going on.... now for a complete flash of the ecu (like flashing a computers bios), hell that cant be that hard if you know your ignition fire timing, and your injector pulse rate/timing per 100 rpm... if not just fudge with the numbers abit... now as for what ecu your wanting to flash, youll need the proper codecs and software to access the boards firmware... if you plan on doing that, send me a pm with what ecu your planning to use, and ill see if i can find you some software... and as a side project to my project ive been searching the web for easily reprogramed ecus, with the same firing order and near the same displacement.. ill send you the info when i get that all wrapped up...but basically any ecu that uses an EPROM (not eeprom)... because the flash rom kind just wipes and resets any changes when restarted (key turns to on)

oh side note... with my arduino diy $20 megasquirt... lol the arduino has issues with threading all the information, every time a spark fires, or an injector fires the chip "forgets" what the hell its doing, it cant seem to keep a constant eye on the timing trigger and the map sensor while firing the plugs or injectors lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can use the arduino without the arduino software and get complete control over the interrupts.

The Arduino uses a multiplier to get a nice clean baud rate for the serial port. You can change this to better suit the engine speed and real time counting of ignition timing once you ditch the arduino software.

Check out avr-gcc

http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/group__demos.html

Read the data sheet on the atmega chip for definition of multiplier registers and such.

I have been thinking of doing something like this for a while. The megasquirt pages have schematics of everything you would need to build from coil drivers to injector drivers. You can even order kits of peak and hold injector drivers that will hook right up the arduino PWM outputs.

Also look into the stanza's with SOHC KA engines their ecu's are kinda the dividing line between 8bit and 16bit ECU's for nissan. This means they have the most advanced code for an ECU with a single external rom chip. If you can get the KA cas dizzy on an L this is the ECU to use. There are also a lot of GM ECU's that would work well and are tuneable. Look into code59.org

-Dime

Bullet,

Add a 2200uf cap across the arduino's incoming power pins. Your arduino is reseting when it fires the coil. You need to filter the noise that is created when you fire the coil or the injectors. look at the megasquirt schmatic around the incoming power and build something close to that curcuit and your arduino-squirt should stop forgetting everything.

-Dime

Haven't been to this thread in awhile.

dimedriver, good to see another engineering nerd in the house ;)

The kit injectors that designed to sink right up to Arduino PWM sounds awesome. That would definitely save some hardware design time.