High fuel pressure, fpr install + Testing cold start valve

ll77

Hey guys,

So some of you know that my car is running rich, and I'm doing everything I can to try to fix this. My fuel pressure is reading 40 psi at idle, then jumps a little to about 42 psi when I rev. FSM says that fuel pressure is supposed to be at 36.3 psi, and I've heard that it's supposed to be lower at idle. I just bought a new BWD fpr, and I want to put it on this week. I also know that the fuel return line can get clogged, which would also cause a higher fuel pressure. Is there any way I can see if it's clogged?

I can't find anything on installing a fpr either. I'm thinking I'll relieve the fuel pressure, then I'll remove these:

fuelrail.jpg

Note: this isn't my car, or my pic

I'll take off the red rectangle portion of the fuel rail assembly by removing the hose clamps (blue), unbolting the bracket from the manifold (orange), removing the clamps from the hoses to the injectors (green), then I'll use pliers and slip the hose from 14-15 to the left, work the injector hoses off, then pull the rail off from 18-19. Then I'll just yank the fpr out when the other clamps and vacuum hose are off. Does this sound ok?

I'm also going to test my cold start valve and I read a lot about the "starter s terminal." I'm supposed to disconnect it to test the csv, I'm guessing to disable the ignition. I have disconnected the high tension lead before to disable the ignion, does this work in place of the former option? I can't find it anyways...

I know I'm probably getting to be a nuisance, asking all these long questions around here, but I just want to be sure. After all, I have next to no automotive service experience, and this is the best place I know where people will lend their experience to me.:D

Bunch of thanks to everyone!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

very funny monkey

EFI is even more fun, smoother and more powerful (for a like system, stock for stock, racing for racing)You can

You can bleed the pressure down and see if you can blow air throuigh the return line. Just fit a rubber hose and blow with your mouth.

Is your FPR adjustable? Otherwise just 2 hoses hold it on.

Datsun 4-cylinder is easier to see the Fule Prussure Regulator

939.jpg

Hmm, if it is adjustable, I don't know how to adjust it. How can I tell?

Yes there are 2 hoses and a vacuum line, but as you can tell by the picture, it's awkward to get to. It's in the middle of the fuel rail, that's why I'm thinking to take half of it off.

Thanks!

I know what you mean. But getting the rail hoses off the injectors is even more difficult.

If it is adjustable it will have an adjustment screw on the side you can't see. Mine is not adjustable. Too bad -- when my 5.0 liter was using too much fuel (though it ran great), turning the adjust got it to the correct psi and it still ran great and started getting the correct fuel economy.

Well, I don't see any screws on my new one, but I'll feel around tomorrow and see if there are any screws on the one that's on right now.

But if not, I'm thinking my only option would be to replace it. Would it be easier if I just took off the whole fuel rail instead?