nissan 720 random idle issues

rjk629

hey my name is ryan and this is my first post to ratsun. i just picked up a 1985 nissan 720 4x4 single cab. it has a Z24 with a weber progressive carb on it. the thing runs fantastic completely smooth and healthy. but a couple days after i bought it about a week ago) it has been acting up. about once a day i will come up to a stop sign and the truck will just die. it always starts right back and sometimes it is totaly fine again and other times the idle will be low and rough and it will pop and cough when using compression as braking down hills. but still runs well while excelerating and at any rpms above idle. if i shut it off and come back to it in 10 to 15 minutes its starts up and runs flawlesly again. this is driving me crazy and its very difficult to diagnose because it is so random. please help me

look forward to hearing what you have to say. thanks

ryan

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, hard call man. Find the weber guide and adjust the carb, check timing first, maybe get out a volt meter and see if your are getting a constant voltage at the coils?

These are prone for head gaskets to blow out, don't think that really causes backfiring tho. Meh, just a few suggestions, someone else probably has a better and correct answer.

oh yeah, check for leaks.. spray some brake cleaner around the base of the carb, see if it idles funky after that. if so make sure the bolts r tight, not too tight tho cuz itll crack the adapter

thanks for the reply man. the only i think it would be vaccume would be if it was constant. the coils is a good idea. i dont think its head gasket cause it runs great, runs cool, and doesnt smoke. thanks

ryan

Tha weber might be the key behind it, but not from what i have found in my time of the Z2.4, if your not running a fuel pressure regulator, its a real good idea to get one, 3.5 psi MAX, but the biggest issue i have found on these motors, is the distributor cap, and the ignition module, but clean the rotor button edges with some fine sand paper, remember there are two edges to clean one on the outside and one on the inside ring, and clean the contact points on the cap, if they have alot of white crust on them, there is massive corrsion caused by the spark, common issue because the cap doesn't have a vent for the ozone that is created by the spark, causing a high oxygen content in the cap, causing corrsion, but if you try that and it still does it, pull the ignition module off, and take it to any name brand auto parts store, they should be able to check it, but it you try all that and it still doesn,t fix it, go to webercarbsdirect.com. they have the tuning aids you need for your carb, just need to know what model you have and do the search.

• 2 years later...