that double carburetor thingee for a j15?

hello all,

i was attracted to a sale a while back for somone selling a thing.ah.mah.jig that let you mount a double carburetor for the j series engines. now, i would love to tell you exactly what it is or give you a pic of what it looks like but i can't.

if you know what i am talking about then please school me on this.

i would like to have one if it is possible. it should, could, would fit for a J15 engine.

*update* - yeah, did quick research on google but nothing. but i did see it on cr.list months ago.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i wouldnt really consider it "qualified" per se

i believe it is caled a side draft.

i remember being tipped off to a cr.list add but the guy never emailed me back. he was in oregon i think and probably thought it was a scam being that i was wondering if he wanted to ship to california

theres a weber on ebay. it looks something kind of like this i believe. man, i should have done my research before asking the questions.

Weber Side Draft Carburetor, 40 DCOE, w/Manifold MG MGB

That manifold right there might fit. Your J is a copy of the MGB engine, but I am not sure if the bolt spacing for the manifold is exact. You'd need to confirm it. However I think you will run into bigger issues because I think those carbs will hit your steering column, if not your Brake master cylinder.

MG guys have what is called a 'swan' style manifold I believe. Which I recall is used with a single DCOE. Whether that would get it high enough to clear I am not sure.

Oh wait! I just looked up the one on ebay. That is for a single DCOE. Not 2 carbs, just one. That 'may' clear. It looks like it slants up. Might be enough to clear, but you'd have to risk it not fitting. If there was a MG specialty shop around you I would visit and check some things out!

Damn you make me want to bid on that thing for my '59!!!

thanks fisch.

i would assume that there is little space in the engine bay... j engines are small but the 320 engine bay is small too

thanks again.

Indeed. The steering column is what holds up many swaps. That said, this is a single carb. The manifold does tilt up. It might fit. I would ask the seller how long it is to the end of the carb and what the bolt spacing on the manifold where it mounts to the head. Get a visual of the slant from the photos and go look under your hood with a ruler! You might have a winner here.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.