D21 transmission questions

Belteshazzar

First post!

My uncle just gave me a '95 D21. It has 226k miles and the 5-sp is fubar, the timing chain rattles, and the alternator doesn't charge.

I can handle the chain and eletrical stuff, but I have some questions about the transmission...

When you shift it into 5th gear nothing happens, you may as well be in neutral. When you put it into reverse, the moment you begin to move there's a whining and grinding sound like it's going to explode.

Generally speaking my method for fixing trannys is to pull them out and put a known-good one in. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't some easy thing I could fix cheaply.

If I need to replace the transmission, what other years/models will fit? It seems like at least any KA24xx rwd tranny should work, but when I searched on car-part.com they only showed me '94-'95's.

Lastly, my grandfather is really old and I think it would do him good to have a pickup again that he could peter around in. Is it ridiculous to swap this truck to an automatic?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5th and reverse are on the same shift rod and because something is affecting them both it's likely serious enough that it would have to come out. The best maych would be a similar year truck. The car KAs were longer than the truck 5 spds. I believe, at least the early D-21s.

An auto would be a great idea but check to see if any of it's up/down shift controles are run by the ecu. A lot of newer trannys are ecu controled for emissions. This may be a problem as the standard won't have the wiring for it. Just something to think about. Other than that the length must be the same and the drive shaft splines match.

If this is a KA24E the timing chain guides were a constant problem with them. They were cheap plastic crap. I scrapped one and the guides looked pretty good.... until I pulled the oil pan. In it I found a 4" length of old plastic guide and multiple chips.