Hydraulic Brake Light Switch special tool

MikeRL411

Those of us with older model cars and trucks with the brake light switch in the brake fluid distribution manifold, not a microswitch on the pedal, will eventually have to change it out. Either by age related failure or personal screwup [don't ask how I know] it will fail. You will need a special deep socket to remove and replace it, a standard 1 inch socket won't fit over the corners. You need a special 12 point deep socket K-D 1 & 1-1/16 part number 2569. Having owned and maintained my car for 43 years, I had one, -- someplace! I went to my local Kragen and looked but could not find one. I asked at the parts counter and you can guess what a blank stare I got in reply. As I was leaving, a newly hired salesgirl asked what I needed. I told her, why not, no help at the desk. She pointed to some newly stocked "GM Performance Parts" items and said they might have something close. It worked! A deep socket "Grips All" GM8309 was the answer, It is nominaly one inch but instead of parallel jaws it has a slight inward radiused face. The faces slip over the flats on the switch and as it turns the corners move into contact and remove the switch [and install the replacement] without cracking the insulator base. By the way, I found my KD socket and used the GM part to remove the old switch to be sure it worked, it did. I used the KD switch to reinstall the new switch since I had a half inch extension bar that was perfect to fit around the heater hoses. The GM socket is a 3/4 drive.

• Like 1
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic