anyone pulled aot of 510 dashes? HELP!??

Hi guys, I'm swapping the crack free dash(guage cluster radio, glove box, etc) out of my 71 4dr and into my 72 2dr, And then putting the 72 dash back into the 71. I've taken of the vent covers, removed the 4 screws across the top of the dash and the 2(1 either side) on the bottom, as well as the ones at the steering column.

Question being: What is the easiest way to disconnect the heater system(easy for reasembly too)? and is there anything else theat needs disconnecting before I pull the hole unit? Also I noticed one of the ignition connections is tight are there other connections you know of that shoul be pulled before tilting the dash unit foreward and making the disconnections from the back???

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help, and if this would be better suited to a different forum feel free to move it.

Also going to move the headliner into the 2dr. anyone have a step by step for doing that? Thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, I'm swapping the crack free dash(guage cluster radio, glove box, etc) out of my 71 4dr and into my 72 2dr, And then putting the 72 dash back into the 71. I've taken of the vent covers, removed the 4 screws across the top of the dash and the 2(1 either side) on the bottom, as well as the ones at the steering column.

Question being: What is the easiest way to disconnect the heater system(easy for reasembly too)? and is there anything else theat needs disconnecting before I pull the hole unit? Also I noticed one of the ignition connections is tight are there other connections you know of that shoul be pulled before tilting the dash unit foreward and making the disconnections from the back???

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help, and if this would be better suited to a different forum feel free to move it.

Also going to move the headliner into the 2dr. anyone have a step by step for doing that? Thanks!

I've pulled one. But it just happened so its fresh in my memory. The heater 'unit' which is just a fan strapped to the heater core should come out on its own with 4-6 bolts. The dash should be largely unaffected. They aren't ( on my 72 wagon) integrated. And seeing as my 79 620 is about the same setup, I doubt there is much real difference. All there is, are one wire connection, and I'm guessing, two cables that simply slide off to the side. Simple. Extremely. Compared to a modern car's heater system.

Why would you go to the trouble of swapping the entire metal frames, etc. Why not just pull the dash pad, vent covers, gauge assembly, gauge surround, radio surround and glove box from the clean car and mount them to the dash frame in the car? Much easier and it should all swap right over.

Why would you go to the trouble of swapping the entire metal frames, etc. Why not just pull the dash pad, vent covers, gauge assembly, gauge surround, radio surround and glove box from the clean car and mount them to the dash frame in the car? Much easier and it should all swap right over.

What he said....:rolleyes:

About 7 screws for the steering column cover.

6 for the the gauge cover, 4 for the gauge cluster(Undo speedo cable and round plug on the back), 5 for the radio holder(Take out ashy tray...3 screws behind it), another 4 for the glove box.

5 or 6 small bolts hold the Dash pad onto the frame....Everything comes off so easy.

Have fun, don't force anything....:D

The metal frame in 71 barely any rust, the 72 is pretty rusty, so it might be worth it (and I'm a little stubborn) but I might pull the pieces just to get a better idea how it all goes together. Thanks for the tips. Eventually (hopefully soon) I'll be pulling everything to do body work and paint, doing two 72 2drs, one at a time (while tinkering with and driving the other)

Any tips for pulling the headliner without damaging it. Never done it so basics would help alot. I know about the rods being specific to there positions for reinstallation but that's about it. ??

Thanks.