Carb upgrade for A12

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont, and had a hard time finding stuff myself(for my priceline) So I made something with some carbs I was given! There is some stuff on ebay, but the price is HUGE!

http://cgi.ebay.com/DATSUN-A10-A12-1200-SUNNY-TWIN-WEBER-DELLORTO-MANIFOLD-/330478959095?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf214b9f7

Has anyone thought of using bike carbs? I knew some folks do it on Triumph Spitfires and the like. Same sort of engine size.

%21B6Yy7H%21Bmk%7E$%28KGrHqR,%21gwEy2IyrNtzBM%29KJ-3%292%21%7E%7E_12.JPG

Look at my video Im running Keihin CVK40's of a ZX1100 Sportbike. Above^^^^

They should work great on your A12 cause its smaller displacement than my A15.

Has anyone thought of using bike carbs? I knew some folks do it on Triumph Spitfires and the like. Same sort of engine size.

%21B6Yy7H%21Bmk%7E$%28KGrHqR,%21gwEy2IyrNtzBM%29KJ-3%292%21%7E%7E_12.JPG

I'm running those carbs on my A15. Had to fab an intake that cleared the brake master. You can even use the stock throttle cable. It works great but would be way easier on a RHD car. For the money it can't be beat. If you can find another option for under $100 - you'd better snatch it up.

003.jpg

I'm running those carbs on my A15.  Had to fab an intake that cleared the brake master.  You can even use the stock throttle cable.  It works great but would be way easier on a RHD car.  For the money it can't be beat.  If you can find another option for under $100 - you'd better snatch it up.

003.jpg

That is genius! I guess that bike-carbs is like a million times easier to source here in europe :)

36mm is fine for me but my engine is bone stock. It has a header and electronic ignition - nothing special. Maybe if you have a big cam, compression and some head work 42s might be necessary. My A15 runs out of cam before it runs out of carb. Once I got them rejetted I haven't had to touch them. They've been completely reliable.

I used 1.5", 1/8" wall steel tubing. It was leftover scraps from my sandrail frame. My carbs were 32mm Mikunis from an '03 Katana. The I.D. of the tubing is almost exactly the same as the carbs. The bends are actually pie-cuts made on my band saw that were beveled with a grinder and welded together. Each runner is actually 8-10 pieces. Then I ground everything smooth. I made the runners separately and clamped to the carbs, then tacked to the flange. The flanges were made from 1/4" plate steel. My head is oval port so I squeezed the flange end of the runners in the vice before I welded them up. Sorry, this is the only picture I could find.

DSC00789-1.jpg

I used 1.5", 1/8" wall steel tubing. It was leftover scraps from my sandrail frame. My carbs were 32mm Mikunis from an '03 Katana. The I.D. of the tubing is almost exactly the same as the carbs. The bends are actually pie-cuts made on my band saw that were beveled with a grinder and welded together. Each runner is actually 8-10 pieces. Then I ground everything smooth. I made the runners separately and clamped to the carbs, then tacked to the flange. The flanges were made from 1/4" plate steel. My head is oval port so I squeezed the flange end of the runners in the vice before I welded them up. Sorry, this is the only picture I could find.

DSC00789-1.jpg

Wow that is Awesome. Picture is great thats everything I need to see.

I had my Tubing set at a 45 Degree angle, it just cleared barely without hitting the Brake Booster. I like your setup alot better.

How does it run threw out the High RPM Range?

Nice! Did you have to change the jets or mess around with them too much to get them running? Is there a choke on them for cold starts?

I got it to start with stock jets but did have to jet them up to run right. There is an "enrichment valve" that I have on a cable. It's basically a choke that is only necessary for 10 seconds or so when it's really cold or if it hasn't been started in several days. Since there's no accelerator pumps it is really hard to start without it. It's not needed in the summer when it's driven every day.

How does it run threw out the High RPM Range?

It runs great and pulls to about 5000rpm. It will turn up past 6500 but there's no power up there. Like I said, it's basically a stock engine. I'm sure it's cam limited more than anything else. Overall, I'm very pleased with the results and highly recommend it. I know it doesn't have the JDM cred of a pair of Hitachis or Webers -- but they don't leak and have been 100% reliable.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.