KA-E in a 521

datsunrides

Well, my L16 is probably not worth rebuilding, so I'm thinking KA-E. I've done a lot of searching and want to see if this sounds right.

Need to prefferably use the engine from a 89'-95' Hardbody for a bolt in. S13 will also work if Hardbody oil pan and pickup are used. Engine brackets will need to be modified slightly. What isolators should be used?

I want to use the S13 EFI and harness. Is the multi port manifold a direct boltup to a TBI head?

Use an automatic ECU.

A Z series automatic will bolt to the KA block.

Thanks for any additional insight.

Mark

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hate to raise a dead thread, but if any one is searching this topic;

The S13 oilpan and flywheel will NOT fit on the D21 block and vise-versa. The EFI manifolds should fit on each other, but the S13 block is a different casting, and is ALOT of work to fit into a D21. Go with the entire D21 engine assy if you need the rear sump, unless you want to weld the pan. The D21 flexplate may not line up either on a S13 crank.

After spending the day dropping this motor in the truck, I will say this.

You can install the D21 pan on a S13 block, but it does take a little effort. The main girdle on the left side needs to be ground down about 1/4"-3/8" between #1 and 2 cylinders along with a little "clearancing" of the pan. After I ground down the girdle (off the engine), I put a piece of 1/4" stock over the girdle, then set the pan over it and did a little hammer work. Also, the sump baffle needs to be notched to clear the rear part of the girdle on the left side. After this, it bolted up no problem. Took about an hour.

The flywheel, or flexplate in my case. I used a S14 DE flexplate on mine. Bolted up no issue after I pulled the little dowel thing out. Can't say about other interchanges, but if a S14 DE flexplate fits a E crank......

Then, after attempting to drop in the engine, ran into some problems. Remember, we are talking a 521 with a 3N71B trans swapped in (from a S11), so you may not have these issues with other transmissions. Also, this is based on using the stock S13 engine mounts with the 521 isolators in the stock location. With this setup, the D21 pan will not fit! :mad: It fouls on both the crossmember and the steering linkage. After laying under the truck for a bit trying to figure out my next move, I came to the conclusion that to make this work, I would need to move the whole drivetrain back about 2" for the pan to fit. Well, this would have affected a lot of work I had already done, so I really did not want to do this. On a whim, I decided to put the S13 front sump pan back on and see what happens. Well, it damn near fit perfect. No issue with the crossmember and it only just hitting the drag link. I tried a little "clearancing", but it was rubbing right near the radius and it did not really want to dent. The solution was to jack the engine up until the drag link did not hit the oil pan. Did not take much, only 3/8" and no more problem. I have to modify the mounts a little anyways due to the different mount angle between the S13 engine mount and the 521 frame mount, so this will be addressed then. It currently sits completely bolted up with some temp spacers on the mounts. So moral, every swap is different (where have I heard that before?) and what works for one swap does not work for another. :hmm: Anyone want to buy a D21 pan with a brand spankin' new oil pickup? :lol:

Mark

My friend had 3 or 4 KA24DEs from S13s, without flywheels, he tried to use one, as a KA long block for a customers blown D21 KA, as you can imagine, in that circumstance, that kind of pan modification was not acceptable. There were also bracket and other issues but that wouldn't be relevant in a custom swap.

But he also found the register on the S13 KA-E was shorter so the D21 flywheel flange rubbed. If you use the S13 flywheel you will have a problem with the starter using the D21 tranny as the ring gear would not have lined up properly.

Most flex plates don't fit around the register like a flywheel, so I never really considered that it might fit, but it makes sense, as long as it lines up with the starter properly (I also missed that you were using an auto).

But it just goes to show, if your willing to cut/smash/weld/bend I guess anything will fit anywhere. Good find on the front sump working out in the 521.