Coilovers with 280ZX brakes/hubs

The Octopus

I did a search, but appear to be internet-stupid today. Didn't see anything that addressed my concerns.

I just picked up a '69 510 that has had 280ZX hubs/brakes installed. I assume this means that it has 280ZX struts, right? I know the front suspension has ground control coilover conversion installed, but I'd like to do the same for the rear suspension. I assume I can only use coilovers geared toward the 280ZX strut housings, correct? Neither Ground Control nor T3 seem to have coilover conversions for the rear suspension. Is there a better place to look? What other options do I have? Originally i was going to go with T3 front and rear, but I assume that i cannot use 510 coilover conversion systems for the 280ZX strut housings.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Fixing the crappy soft rear suspension is one of my first goals.

Thanks.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

510 rear doesn't have struts, it has a semi trailing arm with an inboard spring and a shock on the rearmost mount. The typical coilover conversion ditches the inboard spring and replaces the shock with a coilover unit. T3, troy ermish, top motoring (see datsun510.com), etc sell a coilover conversion, or you can piece together one yourself from QA1 parts (which is essentially what the top motoring setup is, but you won't really find it cost effective to piece it together yourself). For front coilovers it doesn't really matter if you're using stock 510 or 280zx struts for all intents and purposes. For the rear, stock 510 and 280zx suspensions are very similar, but not exactly the same. The 280zx also uses a semi trailing arm, but it comes stock with a coilover shock, however the geometries of the two suspensions are not exactly the same and neither is the lower shock/coilover mount (larger, in a somewhat different position on the 280zx arms). I haven't seen a 280zx rear coilover setup sold anywhere, but that doesn't mean you couldn't piece something together, but again this would not work directly on a 510 because of differences in design.

Thanks for the in-depth response. I'm still wrapping my head around working with cars (I'm used to wrenching on motorcycles).

So does this mean that any of the rear setups from T3, Troy Ermish, Ground Control, Top Motoring would work on my 510, even though brakes/hubs have been swapped for 280zx parts?

The rear has likely not had anything swapped relating to the suspension or hubs. It may have 280zx disc brakes, but that doesn't affect the suspension (or it may have 200sx or maxima rear discs, they're all very similar calipers and the same rotors IIRC). So, unless the trailing arms have been swapped for 280zx arms (not likely), then the answer is yes. Post up some pictures and we can give you a more definite response.

• Like 1