Temp Gauge

boxboy

Okay, so I recently installed a new V/R for the gauges in my 520. The gauges had both been working, but I often had to wiggle the V/R a bit to get them to go on. Anyway, I installed it and they worked great! For about 2 days. Now, the fuel gauge is working fine, but the temp gauge comes on at start up (granted it doesn't move much when cold) and then about 30 to 1 minute later it goes off. If I have been running the truck and it is warm this is more noticeable of course. At first I thought perhaps my thermostat was sticking open or something. But the needle moves all the way left to rest position, so I am assuming if it was the therm I would at least have some heat registering. I put a new contact on he wire to the sending unit on the engine block yesterday with no improvement.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pull the sensor wire off the motor and ground it. This will force the meter to read full hot. Wait a couple of minutes and see if it still does it. If it stays on, and works then the sensor is bad. If it still acts up then it's in the gauge or it's not getting power from the v/r. The fact that the gas gauge is working would indicate that the v/r is working fine.

Thanks Mike. It looks like it is my sensor. Now to finding one to replace it with. My uncle has an old E1 engine that may have one. Would it work? I am assuming these aren't real complex and wouldn't be something that Datsun would have to change design on. If anyone knows where to get one, or if the E1 will work, let me know.

Thanks again.

I have looked up the sending unit on RA and it shows for 1968 the same unit as for the 521 from 69. But my sending unit looks more like the unit from the '67 list. The issue is that the '67 unit is twice as much. What do I do? By the way, I haven't been able to tell when my truck was manufactured. Where would I look to find that out?