U-joints

Dat210sun

Hi all, I have a 81 Datsun 210 hatchback 1.5L 5speed and my rear u-joint is almost toast :(

Can I replace these u-joints and if so does anyone have any part numbers because I cant seem to find any...

Im scared of replacing the whole shaft because mine is straight and didnt have any vibration before the u-joint started going out.

Thanks in advance guys and gals

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That Sucks!

The 210s have the pressed in u-joints that you can not replace. You have to get a new driveline! That is unless yours has already been changed over.

You can tell by looking at them, if they look like the ends have been filled with plastic then your screwed! I have found new drivelines in the junk yard for both of my 210s! They are the same length in all 210s, not sure on the B210s though!

These fit:

* 1975-1978 B210 (B-210) 4-speed driveshaft (but not the 1974)

* 1979-1982 B310 (210) 4-speed or 5-speed

Auto driveshafts are different from manual. B210 5-speed shafts are different from B310 manual.

Sometime you can replace the joints, even if they are the glued-in kind.

Well not for sure so I got a pic but im guessing that im screwed....

gallery_6588_722_56347.jpg

Yep, you gotta do away with those. Again look in the JYs ggzilla gave ya a nice list of donor cars to look for! I have heard of guys gluing them in, cant balance them and they shook!

These fit:

* 1975-1978 B210 (B-210) 4-speed driveshaft (but not the 1974)

* 1979-1982 B310 (210) 4-speed or 5-speed

Auto driveshafts are different from manual. B210 5-speed shafts are different from B310 manual.

Sometime you can replace the joints, even if they are the glued-in kind.

Thanks greatly for the info.

So what your saying is that my other 81 Datsun 210 wagon AT driveshaft wouldn't fit my 81 standard, I think right? And the B210 and B310 shafts you have listed are changable joints and direct fit for my 5 speed car?

I have seen the reman shafts for like $250 is that a fair price? The other route is the the bone yard looks like they have them from 55-85 bucks but they are 800 miles away tho

Hey Dat210sun,

I had my drive shaft machined and modified, years ago, so that in the future I can change U joints only. :cool: It was worth the investment.

When my U joints go bad I just change the U joints. It was cheaper than $250 even with the new U joints; If I recall correctly, I paid $75 for the machine work and $38 including tax for the U joints. :D The auto machine shop I used was Drive Line Services of Santa Rosa. There's probably an auto machine shop in your area that can do the work.

Such a modification would enable you to keep the same drive shaft for the life of your 210.

Thanks for that info Nicholas7620 I will definately check my local machine shops and see what they can do, thats definatly the best route I think.

Would you happen to have a part # or is yours not the same? I guess I could prolly call your shop and see what they say maybe.

Great info and lots of options here, now I just gotta do it. I have to do sumtin soon its started shakin not long ago and now it pops when you first take off. Thanks everyone....

I ruined a 4 speed transmission in my B210 by not replacing my U joints soon enough. There are a couple of Drive shafts NOS for sale on ebay right now. They are $75 plus shipping. :o

I trashed my tranny by letting the U joints get worse and worse, :( I had to buy a used tranny from the junk yard in addition to replacing my U joints. :D