Z31 Transmission

I am looking at options for a Z31 transmission for my VG620 build. I am looking for either a manual or an auto, in working condition. I originally wanted this project to be an auto, but am open to a manual at this point. For the manual, i need the flywheel too. For the auto, i need the flexplate/converter also. Local too.

Kyle, you had some knowledge about a short manual trans, care to share again.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Z31 (non turbo) used an FS5W71C tranny which is marvelously strong and can 'take it'. The shortest C, used in the D-21, is just slightly longer than the FS5W71B used in the 620. In theory you could make a 5 spd that is 26" long by swapping the VG front case onto a '85 shorty 720 5 speed but it wouldn't be as strong. I'm guessing the VG 5 speed is similar to the 240sx 5 speed at 34"-35"? Easier to shorten the driveshaft than try for a shorter length.

The Z31 came with an E4N71B 4 spd automatic on the turbo models. Very strong with extra clutch discs and plates, modified valve body, lower 1st and 2nd gears, higher stall converter and monster 0.696 over drive for mileage. You will need the matching drive shaft spline. The autos are about an inch longer than the stock 620 tranny.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.