New to Ratsun, Bringing my 510 Along

ARS14

Hey everybody, just to introduce myself, I'm Chris Johnson from Pocahontas, Arkansas. Not sure if there are any other 510's in Arkansas (I hope so) but I've got mine now so that's all that matters. I've been a HUGE fan of the 510 for quite a while now, I'm 18, and just happened to run across this one after graduating Basic. I'm in the Arkansas National Guard, other than that I'm unemployed as of now so I've got lots of spare time to tinker with my Datsun now. I'm nowhere near new to the car restoration/build scene but this is my first Datsun and I've mainly been a VW kinda guy up until now. I've had some 240's, a few DSM's, and a few pickups but now I've thinned my fleet down to my 1984 Porsche 944 (I'm giving it to my dad after I finish repairing it), my 1980 VW Rabbit (first car I've just went over the top with on a build, which I'm about to put up for sale), a 2001 Chevy Z71, and now my 1977 Datsun 510. I've always wanted a 510 but seeing as how I didn't really expect to own one I have never really researched this car. It has the L20B which runs and drives, just need to put the carb back together, or pull it apart and rebuild it...not sure if I want to take on that task. I've got GSXR 1000 ITB's I could throw on it, has it been done? Is the front grille interchangeable with earlier year models? I've found a 12A rotary donor car that I can pull everything for the swap. Is there a kit for it? Custom fab work? Rerouting fuel/brake lines or work to the firewall/shifter hole to make everything line up or fit? As of now I just want to get the carb back together or rebuilt so I can start driving it like it is. Overall she is in AMAZING condition for a 33 year old car, minimal rust (gotta love the South), spotless interior, needs paint, but I'm really happy with what I got for only $500. I appreciate any and all help I can get and from reading over these forums for the past week I feel like you all will be extremely helpful. I suppose it's time for some photos. Thanks, Chris.

http://s150.photobuc...20Datsun%20510/

I'll try to get the other 25 or so photos to show up on my Photobucket account later today. Here's one photo after a few hours work of cleaning it up, cleaning it out, and throwing on some other wheels.

510Shine.jpg

This is the only real work I've done to it so far, been trying to research everything else first before I touch a thing.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Ratsun Chris. Looks like a cool lil Datsun you got there. This is def. the site for you. Read, research & then read some more :D I would just trash that stock carb & get a Weber carb kit. $269 thru WeberCarbsDirect. We could use some more PICS :P

looks like a good start on an hl510. like doug said, ditch that stocker and get a weber. you'll feel a HUGE difference.

i think the itbs are a little overkill for a stock l20b, but thats just me...

i dig the rabbit too, like that blue color. welcome to ratsun!!

• 2 weeks later...

looks like a good start on an hl510. like doug said, ditch that stocker and get a weber. you'll feel a HUGE difference.

i think the itbs are a little overkill for a stock l20b, but thats just me...

i dig the rabbit too, like that blue color. welcome to ratsun!!

Not gonna use the ITB's, gonna buy the Webers for it and drive her for a bit.