280zx strut swap inserts

dozenhundred

I've been accumulating parts to do a 20zx strut swap for the bigger brakes etc. So far I have the strut housings with the spring cups removed, stock rotors and calipers, coilover springs and sleeves. I got the coilover parts on fleabay for about $5.00. It came with springs (wrong rate but I will buy different coils), the threaded sleeves, adjusting nuts, and a top cap. I will have to weld on a ring on the strut housing for the sleeve to rest on.

Not worried about the welding part. What I am confused with is the replacement strut insert cartriges. I don't want a stiff ride so I plan on about a 125 pound spring. I don't want a KYB insert and I would imagine a 280zx cartridge would not be the way to go. I plan to go with some KONI or Tokico adjustables. I see much mention of cutting the strut for lowering the car but don't intend to do that either. So my question is what car can I use the strut inserts from that would have a similar front end weight so the damping would be close? Would b210 inserts fit the 280zx housings? Anyone done this swap that can give me some pointers?

Thanks,

Kelly

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

B210 inserts will fit but are not good for lowering. When we fit 280ZX struts to the Bees, we fit shorter inserts.

But if you don't plan on lowering it, use the B210 inserts, they are about $100 new from Nissan. Oh, and they are Nissan-KYB.

When you mention lowering are you talking about cutting the housing shorter or adjusting coilovers down? If that includes the latter, I would hope to be able to have some adjustment range, but would not lower the car more than an inch or so. Would that bottom out the cartridge too soon?

What shorter inserts do you fit?

Thanks

Kelly

So if I adjust the springs lower on the sleeves the cartridges could bottom out?

I suppose I should look at some shorter inserts if so. You mentioned using 280zx inserts, but wouldn't that make the damping a bit to firm? I am wanting to get some Koni adjustables or Tokico Illuminas. Anyone used those this way?

I'm trying to figure this stuff out too. My car currently has B210 struts, and they need to be shorter. I was thinking about cutting them down to fit SW20 MR2 rear shocks. I'm assuming these are shorter than 280ZX inserts, but maybe I'm wrong? Does anyone know the length of the body of a 280ZX insert? (I'm looking at KYB AGXs; these are not available for the Z.) You're a little ahead of me because I'm having second thoughts about using the 280ZX struts (which I also have) because they seem so heavy. I might try to piece it together with my old springs and see if I like the brakes before I do any cutting.