Toyota carb option

flyerdan

So my stock carb had been giving me fits, not idling right, hesitation on take off, and recently just barely limping home from a trip across town. I'd swapped it earlier with one off a spare pickup, it was iffy but doable. It gave up, would act like you shut it off; had to open the hood and bang on it then it would run for a while longer. Miserable trip home. Took it all apart and cleaned it, would run real choppy and smelled rich as hell.

I had a carb off a Toyota 2-TC that had been sitting around since '87 or '88, figured I'd see how close the base and studs were. It dropped right on and bolted down, the only mod I had to make was to the throttle cable arm, which has a return spring on the back of it that hit the manifold. Little cutting and relocating with the welder and a longer piece of fuel hose and it was running. Took it for a test run and I can't remember if it ever ran as good as it does now.

And the stock aircleaner will fit, sort of. It won't go all the way down in back because of the throttle cable bracket, but close enough for me. The biggest problem that I see is that the throttle cable is loose, the bracket is too close and you run out of adjusting threads on the cable to snug it up. I like a rather positive throttle without a lot of slop in it, but right now I'll take running okay over that.

Just putting this out there because I've never heard of it being done, that I recall, and it gives one more option when parts scrounging.

100_0230.jpg

100_0231.jpg

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic