Oil Capillary Plug

Xander_42

I have a quick L-series question. What is the thread spec on the hole in the block just behind the oil filter on an L-series. This is commonly the take-off for oil pressure as it goes into an oil capillary. I am looking to remove a broken oil pres sensor and plug the hole, but I don't know what the threads on the plug need to be, and I know I've had issues finding plugs before. Just in case it changes, the motor in question is an L20b.

Thank you

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its a strange one, i don't remember exactly but I believe its a british pipe thread. they still use that on opsu's to this day

edit:

The fitting for the oil pressure sender is 1/8" BSPT or British

Standard Pipe (Taper) 28 threads per inch. This sounds small but it really reflects the inner pipe size, the outer thread width is 0.383". Over 1/3" sounds right.

The hole for the oil sender switch is 1/8" BSP (British Standard Pipe)

This is a curious holdover on a metric motor. It has been in use since Nissan teamed up with the Austin car company of Great Britain to build Austin cars in Japan after the war. This gave Nissan access to Austin patents and explains why some of the J series parts fit the MG motors. The BSP thread was still in use into the 2000s.