HLA510 Instrumentation

zerow

HLA510 Owners, Riddle me this: On your dash cluster instrumentation, that looks like this:

20100906135641DSC00074.jpg

(Photo courtesy of ggzilla, as posted in the Wrecking Yard Report - Thanks!)

The small universal symbols below the Battery/Charge gauge, Oil gauge, etc.(Not the speedometer or tachometer), are these your warning lights? Inquiring mind wants to know!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. The only warning lights are the Brake and Charge lights in the tach, as well as a small idiot light in the fuel gauge. The symbols on the 4 outer gauges are simply labels.

The presence of gauges in the '80-81 A10 removed the need for idiot lights for the oil pressure and alternator lights that existed in the '78-79 A10, though they kept the alternator idiot light because it's actually part of the charging system. The oil pressure warning light was the only thing "removed", because the sensor was replaced with a gauge sender. All those gauges were standard equipment in a '80-81.

Thanks datsunaholic! I am looking for smallish round gauges like that. I was going to look for and then cannibalize the cluster to get these gauges. I am not terribly worried about the lights not being there, the 610 dash has 4 dummy lights (and I'm adding a 5th) (BRK, CHG, OIL, and the blue for high beams, the 5th will say "CHK" for 'Choke'), just would have been nice to see extra lights (if the light is on, you check a gauge, and pull over)

'80 and '81, you say? I will be on the lookout. Thanks again!

The problem with that is while the gauges look separate, they are all on the same printed circuit board and housed in a 1-piece plastic housing. The tach and speedo are separate (under the PCB) with the tach wiring via a separate plug. You can make the gauges independent but you'd need to know how to wire them away from the PCB. For the oil gauge, you need to use the correct sender (generic ones don't work) and they've gotten real pricey (mostly because they are British Pipe Thread). Can get it off the same car, though it's not easy due to being under the intake manifold.

Well, that changes things for sure... I originally planned on using the gauges from a 240Z and wiring them in and finding a mount set for them (pillar?)but the Z guages have a large diameter and deep mounting (as the Z ones are in the dash) and I saw these gauges and thought that their smaller diameter would be more to what I was looking for...

Back to square one...