510 tail lights

ricky

I have a 1972 510. My tail light fuse kept blowing. With an under rated fuse. So I put in the required one and now nothing no blown fuse but tail lights don't work. When I got the car the fuse box kid is a little melted where that fuse is at. Under nieth fuse box wiring looks melteted. Is this come for 510 and dose anyone know why it would do this? Is there a come place these short out? I am planing on re wiring my fuse box. But I'm afraid it will happen again

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad or corroded contacts that hold the fuse will add resistance to the circuit. Any resistance will heat up just like a toaster element and the fuse, holder and any nearby wiring will melt. The problem with heat is it will take the temper out of the clips that hold the fuse and they won't grip the fuse tightly and add to the problem. Try to find a nice clean replacement fuse box so that it doesn't do this again and replace the wiring that is melted. Do it once, do it right, and this won't happen again. An otherwise good fuse box with light corrosion can be cleaned by soaking in vinegar for a day or so.

thanks for the info. what is best to clean off normal corrosion? i also have another issue when i turn my head lights on. they turn on very slow. like you cna turn them on and almost get to the front of the car before they are on all the way