horn not working with new steering wheel

73dime

I recently changed my steering wheel from a grant wheel to the larger sss wheel and I am having trouble getting the horn to work. It worked with the grant wheel but it wasn't hooked up because the horn botton was not functional. But now after installing the new wheel with everything hooked back up it sparks when I press the horn button (yikes!) I blew out the horn fuse once. I inpected the wheel several times to make sure it was put on right. This is on a 73 510 by the way. Am I just missing something obvious? Let me know, thanks.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The horn button grounds the relay that works the horn so it should spark but it should not blow the fuse. Try disconnecting bothe wires on the horns and try again. If the fuse blows then the wire(s) back to the horn relay and pinched or bare and touching ground. If the fuse does not blow plug in one of the horns and try again. If it blows there is something wrong with this horn ... if not try the other one.

The horn relay has three wires.

Green (to the horns)

Green/Yellow stripe (from the fuse, hot all the time)

Black/Green stripe (goes to steering wheel and grounded to close relay and power the horns)

• Like 1

As always great info datzenmike. I did try disconnecting the wire from the horn again and then putting it back on and know that the horn worked recently before swapping the steering wheels. I still need to trace the wires to the relay and see if there is any wires that are raw or pinched like you said. Thanks for also breaking down the colors of the wires and where they go it helps out a lot.