D21 spring shackle bushings

HRH

So I had planned on getting all the spring bushings done today on the D21, after inspecting them and finding they were all shot. Rubber had separated from the metal sleeve, and the spring pack was cocked to one side which of course isn't good. Figure they probably had never been replaced. Most people don't, they just deal with the play in the rear.

Got some bushings from work, and I wasn't going to bother posting this, but my Datsun guru showed me a really neat little trick for removing/installing bushings that I was too stupid to figure out, so I figured I'd share it. It involves a piece of all-thread, some washers, and a nut. Makes the job 10 times easier, as the last time I did this on a D21, I only had a drift and a hammer and it took a damn long time.

Started it this morning, then had other stuff to do, ran into a snag at the Datsun guru's, ended up sourcing him another cylinder head and ferrying that around. By the time I got back to finish the springs it was damn near 6 o'clock. The front bushings went well, then went to the rear and I was worried about it because the Altrom bushings I got were just half pieces, which was fine, but they didn't include the sleeve, which I just verified I will need. The sleeve measured smaller in the rear shackle bushings than the inner diameter of the other bushings, so I need to figure that out tomorrow. Might just go with the NAPA chassis bushings instead. Picked the Altrom 'cause they were cheap! May also find some sleeve stock at Lowe's, haven't decided.

So basically I haven't gotten thing one done on the 510 and I told my buddy I'd fiddle with his '68 Cougar tomorrow in the afternoon, so basically I have to get up really early and figure out the spring mess. To make matters even better, the rear shackle is welded on the one side and there's a trailer hitch attached to the frame. Guess what's in the way of those coming out!? Yep, so I have to drop the trailer hitch too. Fun fun. So my truck is sitting minus rear wheels on jack stands right now, and I'm not too happy about it.

And now, oics:

leaves1.jpg

leaves2.jpg

leaves3.jpg

The old inner sleeve of the old bushing was stuck on the bolt, had to take a chisel and open the edge then stick it in the vise and whack it with the brass hammer to get it off. Way rusted. I put a bit of Sil-Glide on that surface when I reinstalled it with the new bushing.

leaves4.jpg

Had to beat off one shock, it just wouldn't unweld from the bolt, don't know why.

leaves5.jpg

leaves6.jpg

It really helps to have a big wedge to beat into the crevis there, it unloads a lot of tension on the bushing, make it way easier to push in/out.

leaves7.jpg

leaves8.jpg

leaves9.jpg

For reinstallation, you don't need the socket since you're just pushing the bushing to the edge of the spring pack.

leaves10.jpg

leaves11.jpg

leaves12.jpg

And here's a video of me making fun of Buddy, my roomie. :D

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have any trouble finding the correct rear shackle bushings for a D21 4x4? I'm doing more research online, it appears the bushings I got are supposedly for the rear upper, but it sure looked like they were the same size interior thing to me. If it is, that solves half the problem, then I just need to get the other two. Should have just ordered the Energy Suspension kit to begin with. Bah.

Figured it out. There are four options for bushings. Two are the same. The Altrom ones I got and a NAPA chassis version that appears to be the same. Then there are the forward leaf spring bushings, and the upper and lower shackle bushings.

Now here's where the fun starts. The half bushings I almost think exist for replacing poly bushings that came with a sleeve already as the hole is too big to fit in the leftover inner sleeve of the stock bushing. (Such as Energy Suspension.)

I called Nissan and go figure, their shackle bushings are the same cost as my cost and we only had 3 in the warehouse, next would need to come from Seattle. So guess where we get these bearings from? Yep. Nissan O.E. in a NAPA chassis box. It happens when you have something odd enough that the aftermarket doesn't want to bother making it other than performance sets.

The downside is the rear shackle bushings are fing expensive. It's cheaper for me to buy the Energy Suspension set, which is probably what I'm going to do. Or I can take some measurements and have Joe turn me down some bushings on the lathe, which seems like an awful lot of effort to make the cheap bushings fit. I dunno. But that's why I'm having issues with the rear bushings.

Went up to Lowe's, found a sleeve inside a sleeve that would work, but they're only 2" long max, which doesn't work for the 3" or so long bushing.