L20B Street Recommendations

Hooligans

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Find out if the solid rear axle has an H190 rear gear in it. If so the truck rear gears will fit and give you a 4.11, 4.375, 4.625 and even higher. This would allow you to 'get into it' sooner, RPM wise. Won't affect mileage around town much, but gives an added kick in the ass take off. A few hours work to do and you don't have to touch the motor.

Motor modifications will dovetail nicely with this later on.

Find out if the solid rear axle has an H190 rear gear in it. If so the truck rear gears will fit and give you a 4.11, 4.375, 4.625 and even higher. This would allow you to 'get into it' sooner, RPM wise. Won't affect mileage around town much, but gives an added kick in the ass take off. A few hours work to do and you don't have to touch the motor.

Motor modifications will dovetail nicely with this later on.

I dont think thats true... I am almost possitive it has a h190 rear end but I think its just like an early 510 wagon h190 they have different amount of splines on the axels than the truck so the axels wont slip into the carrier. I think Fineline said that the trucks have a 29 spline axel and the 510 wagons have a 25 or 27... you can make it work but it takes some time and research.

While the rears are out remove the pinion mate shaft from the differential case by removing the roll pin that holds it in. This will allow the two pinion mate gears and thrust washers to fall out which in turn will allow the two side gears, (with the wrong spline count) room to be removed. Replace with the 510 ones and re-assemble. The 510 axles will now be fitting onto their own 510 side gears.