Rebuilding dogleg 5 speed trouble with tail fitment

rbastedo

My friend who is mechanically bright, some would say gifted, decided to rebuild my 5 speed tranny (out of a Datsun 210), it turns out it needed about 4 parts and is mostly finished. He's having trouble getting the tail piece back on, something about the shifter and the tail housing and he's tried about 30 times and knows there must be a trick to it. He's done the 5 speed non-dogleg before so it's just something about the tail piece on this one that's giving him a fit.

Does anyone here know about this or have heard about this before or have some real advice?

It would be so freaking awesome to get the 5 speed in now that I have a performance head and dual carbs, I might even think I should start making the car look better...

Thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha!!

Yes, Mike will be here soon! Yay!!!

I drive the car every day, freeways demand a 5th gear.

i can help

douchebag douchebag douchebag douchebag douchebag douchebag douchebag douchebag douchebag

mike will be here soon, im sure he knows :D

Start with standing the tranny on the bellhousing,I use 4 x 4 blocks shift tranny to neutral. Make sure to use sealant on the matting surfaces. Put the shifter and the selector in 5th gear There is a dowel that fits into a slot. Now you will have to hold the shifter so that it stays in 5th as you drop it down to the tail shaft, take note that you will have to drop it about 15 to 20 degrees of rotation counter clockwise and when it just about bottoms out turn it back to match the bolt pattern on the rest of the trans. Slap some bolts on till you hopefully run out of bolts and the rest is gravy.

Thanks, I will pass that on to my friend.

Start with standing the tranny on the bellhousing,I use 4 x 4 blocks. make sure to use sealant on the matting surfaces. Put the shifter and the selector in 5th gear There