just bought 71 dime boxed and swaped

robslow

just bought a 510 with boxed fenders and a ka swap.deffinatly a rat. neeeds breaks and suspension baddly. Got a thousand dollars to spend . whats the cheapist and best way to get this thing to stop and drive better. and yes I know look it up. Pictures soon to come

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what front struts are on the car now?

What are your future plans for the car?....... 280zx struts will come with better brakes, but you will need a bigger master cylinder, and you will need to cut/remove the spring perch and weld on coilovers, or a 510 spring perch........ and if you want your car low,,, it would be a good idea to shorten the 280zx struts.

You can also shorten your stock 510 struts,,, and/or add coilovers......... coilovers are about $200 ..............

and shocks can vary from $99--$375.... what top-hat do you want to use? ........ camber plates vary from $185-$280........ you will need bumpsteer spacers with any shorter strut (i.e. stock 280zx struts) ..... bumpsteer spacers are about $80-$90

Bigger brakes are availible for both stock 510 struts or 280zx struts......... front/rear disc brake kits start at $1550

Stock 280zx struts offer the cheaper option for better brakes, but do you have the skills/welder to remove the spring perch and weld on coilovers or a 510 perch?

When you say, "the car needs better brakes and suspension" .......... which would you rather have?........ If you do all the work yourself you might be able to do the 280zx strut swap for under $1,000

-Struts=$100

-Cheapest shocks= $95

-Coilovers= $200

-Camber plates= $200

-Bumpsteer spacers= $90

-Master cylinder= $100

-New brake pads= $30

-New rotors/reman. brake calipers= $expensive

So if you find some good 280zx struts with good rotors and good calipers,,,, and you know how to weld,,,, and you have a few days free,,, and a few weeks to wait for parts......

Sorry for the uber-negative post......... I should have just said, "PICS!"

Hi, I've been upgrading my 72 510 brake system and have some stock rotors and drums with lots of life left in them. with a ka you'll probably want to go bigger quick as stock was made for 98hp engine but if you want these in the meantime you can have them for the price of shipping, probably 30 or $40 I'd have to check actual cost.