Not sure what transmission I have

Sparks

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently Nissan didn't stamp the year on the trannys, but they did mark the month. I guess the owner would know the year of the vehicle it was in. Yours was made in December and if a '79 it would be from a 280zx not a 280z.

Better that you post several pictures of it including side shots of the right (pass) side of the tail stock. May not be able to positively ID it, but can tell what it isn't and narrow it down.

If it is as described by the owner it will bolt in. Make sure that the housing that the release bearing is pressed onto from the 4 speed is kept and used on the 5 speed. This is important as it is matched to the clutch size you have on the L20B. The 5 speed housing could be from a different clutch size so don't use it just in case. You should of course replace the bearing with a new one. Don't forget to pack it with grease first.

Wow a triple post! I erased the others. One will do.

so new t/o bearing and throw her on? trying to get this swap done in one weekend. the clutch i have now feels good but if need be i can put a new one in. would a stock replacement from one of the parts stores work for a daily driver?

Yes any 225mm clutch for a 620 truck will work just fine. It's the second strongest pressure plate clamping force after the Roadster one. Best quality would be the Nissan dealer but are pricy. With most things you get what you pay for so don't go for the cheapest one either. Spend around $20 on the release bearing, you don't want to have to take it all apart in 8 months to put a good one in.