66 520 runability issues

daddyman007

OK dumbass here my 66 520 odometer reads 94xxx,stock carb, points,runs ok at cold start idling anyway, then you have rev it up a bit to get rolling, but if you let off the throttle to stop or slow down it dies and is a bitch to start again.this is lots of fun in freeway traffic. oh yeah if you hit the brakes hard it dives to the left. did i mention this is lots of fun in freeway rushhour traffic at 60+ mph???

but when trying to then start it will pop out the pipes- so it must have some spark and fuel-maybe not in the right time or amount, but some.

it has an inline fuel filter that never seemed to have much fuel in it,replaced stock pump with electric fuel pump, still not much fuel , moved filter from between tank and pump to between pump and carb....... filter now full still has issues.

timing was off... way off... adjusting did not help replaced timing chain assembly timing on now but still has isssues

after the chain replacment adjusted the timing, carb runs ok at idle

drove to work today 60+mph even slowing down to change lanes it seems to have a hard time getting back to speed, and then i had to stop on the freeway and it died and would not start right away , popped and farted almost sounded flooded,it started but would not rev up but stutterd and popped then a few more seconds of running and it would smooth out.

it also died when i was exiting the freeway on the offramp; then at the stop sign in front of the state patrol; pulling into the parking lot and then tryiong to park

ok what the hell is it???????? :unsure: :wacko: after driving it home and it doing the same thing i wanted to shoot it and leave it for the vultures. but it would have been a long walk home.

some body help

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the fuel filter never really fill up. this is common.

eleltric fuel pumps need to be of the low pressure kind. Like less than 4 pouns otherwises its hard on the needle valve on there. will wear out and cause to to flood out. try putting the olf fuel pump back on.

if truck dont idle with choke off the idle jet could be plugged. Have you the old fuel filter? Cut it open and ck for rust/dirt.

you sure you installed the timming chain correctly and the dist timming? Dist or chain not off a tooth. I dont know J motos so im only guessing

accel pump working in the carb?????