HELP! with Mac Terminal !!!!

Hey guys, any Mac pro's out there? I'm trying to install Megatune on my macbook and I don't understand Terminal. I grew up using DOS. I keep getting an error even when following the instructions:

DEBUG: Rebuilding the darwinports base system if needed.

Synchronizing from rsync://rsync.darwinports.org/dpupdate/dports

@ERROR: Unknown module 'dpupdate'

rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-35.2/rsync/main.c(1398) [receiver=2.6.9]

DEBUG: Couldn't sync dports tree: sync failed doing rsync

while executing

"darwinports::selfupdate [array get global_options]"

Error: /opt/local/bin/port: selfupdate failed: Couldn't sync dports tree: sync failed doing rsync

What does this mean?

Link to original instructions:

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=23434

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this what Apple owners refer to when they brag about their user friendly interface?

Well, being a devoted PC person all my life, I will say EVERYTHING on the Mac is easier and more user friendly except when you get into the stuff where you have to mess around in terminal to get something to work. You have to remember that Megatunix is part of the Megatune world which is all grass roots collaboration. No big companies to make it nice and easy functioning :(

Those instructions are from 2007, and likely specific to an older version of OSX than what you might be running now.

i don't muck about under the hood too much with OSX, but in the past when i did this sort of thing i had to install the OSX developer tools. i think you can download the package from apple, or they should be on your OSX dvd or on a 2nd dvd that came with OSX.

Darwinports is/was a package management system that allowed unix-style software to be more easily installed. You might need to check that out, as it isn't self-updating.

Also, do a quick google search on basic unix commands. it'll help you get around using the command prompt.