what motor to build?

lil89ram50

hey guys, so i just got this 521 a few weeks ago, and it has a stock l16 in it, but i would like a lil more grunt to it. so i have the l16 in the truck, and a z24 laying around, and i will be getting an l20b in a few weeks,and can get an l18 from a friend for little or nothen and i can get a ka24e out of a truck for dirt cheap..... i want to keep it l series, with a 5 speed added to the equation when i swap this new motor in :) so... what can i build out of all these motors? i hear frankenstien all the time, but which one makes the best power... i will run twin side drafts, not sure whick ones yet, i also have a set of bike carbs sitting on the shelf :cool: if wanting to go crazy... what i actually want is a mean 4 banger.. want it to have a good sounding lumpy cam in it, with the side drafts, and a hard, fast revving motor. i know it might jus be better to swap to a ka and be done, but i wana keep the l series.... so, what parts from what motors?

i know i know... its still a 521, it wont be "fast" but i would like to have a surprise to friends that take a spin lol please help a guy out... also i would like to be able to drive it with the l16 till this new motor is built..

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Warning: this topic is fairly beaten to death... That being said, I have a L20b block Im looking to turn into a mean Frankenstein monster but I haven't made up my mind just yet on exact parts... I want to go the same route with the twin side draft Su's, 219/a87+ported head. The rest I haven't committed to yet... The Jason Grey sticky in here is very helpful for build combination's, I just like to talk people who have actually built the motors and ran them for a while... One thing is this though, Pretty much everyone will tell you to just swap the Ka in there for cost Vs power. I however want to keep it L motor and have fun building a frankenblock from the ground up! I would love to hear about some beefed up L's that have been running for a while and peoples impressions of them :)

what can i build out of all these motors? i hear frankenstien all the time,

but i wana keep the l series.... so, what parts from what motors?

i know i know...

SEARCH the jason grey possibilities, and match them to yours.

depending on which head you end up with, i say LZ24 frankenmotor!

its the tallest. mine has added 'clearance' in the 510 hood :mellow: