Bagged and Bodied D21

Been working on this for 9 months now. It's a friend of mine's that lost interest and sold it to another buddy. Original plan was 302 and a ford 8.8, but now it's back to a KA and a toyota 7". Oh well, on to some pics.

Here she is a shell of once was a truck.

IMG_3140.jpg

Yupp, it is laying pinch at the moment, there is still another 1/2 of drop in here though

IMG_3137.jpg

IMG_3139.jpg

IMG_3142.jpg

Look Ma! No Frame!

IMG_3146.jpg

Other than that horrible cross member, I'd say not Bad for two guys that really didn't know what they were doing. I've learned a lot since then though!

IMG_3141.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So tonight I decided that I would fix this hole in the cab corner, not sure what happened, I guess we got a little crazy with the sawzall!

IMG_3147.jpg

Can't work with that, so I made the hole bigger then took a blurry pic of it.

IMG_3148.jpg

And Filler plate

IMG_3150.jpg

And welded. Needs a little more grinding.

IMG_3152.jpg

Oh yeah, and I the truck is safely and securely on jack stands.

IMG_3153.jpg

That's it for now. Any one ever had welding slag burn threw there finger nail? Freaking hurts!

A little Sunday night motor removal action.

Decided that the 30 mins to take the core support off was well worth it, and it was. Made the entire job a ton easier.

IMG_3182.jpg

We thought about going ahead and welding that there.

IMG_3183.jpg

So much for that new beautiful concrete. Should have seen the mess we made with tranny fluid!

IMG_3184.jpg

About 1 hour later.

IMG_3186.jpg

Ladies love the KA

IMG_3187.jpg

Mess

IMG_3189.jpg

That'll look real good in my 620.

IMG_3190.jpg

And that's it!

IMG_3191.jpg

Took about 3 hours total. And that was with about 1 hour of sweeping up kittty litter.

Went pretty good for our first time to ever pull a motor.

Got the rear suspension torn down, and cut out that horrible cross member. (Yes all it took was a hammer, pair of cutting pliers, and a 10mm wrench that you see pictured)

IMG_3320.jpg

Then Sparky and I spent a good amount of time measuring and designing a new cross member.

IMG_3319.jpg

Had a couple beers then decided that we might as well chop the old back half off, without Sparky being their, then take the rails and put them in his daily driver while he was at work. It was Epic.

IMG_3401.jpg

IMG_3401.jpg

IMG_3405.jpg

IMG_3406.jpg

Yeah seam sealer!

IMG_3410.jpg

Seems like most of our time goes to measuring and thinking. Got the cross member welded up and the start of the frame rails.

IMG_3529.jpg

A little frame rail

IMG_3530.jpg

turns into an entire back half

IMG_3535.jpg

IMG_3537.jpg

Then I caught my pants and shoe on fire welding.

IMG_3533.jpg

IMG_3534.jpg

So what better way to to finish the day off? Why not lay the truck back out with it's new frame rails?

IMG_3538.jpg

IMG_3539.jpg

IMG_3540.jpg

Sweet stuff! Have to do a lot of welding, then set up the four link.

Wow it's been a long time since I've updated the progress. Not much to take pictures of, other than my frustrated face! At this point the owner has lost some hear regarding the project, so the 20x10's and the 302 and the narrowed 8.8" are all on hold for now. He told me to get it rolling again, and that is what I plan to do.

'82 Toyota 5 lug axle and start of the 4 link.

IMG_3616.jpg

And that is about were the easy going stopped. The original plan was to put the upper link bars on the cross member above the drive shaft and have them triangle out from there. Well, after a good 3 hours of getting nothing done, i said **** it they are going the other way, so we ended up with this...

IMG_3656.jpg

IMG_3657.jpg

Obviously the uppers are just sitting on some jack stands. Need to cut the tabs for them and get them tacked in what I hope to be there permanent home. After that, weld it all up, and then drop the front frame horns and weld the core support back to the cab.

It'll be out of my garage after that. Not sure what the owner's plans are with it.

This is the first time in 9 months that the truck has been out side.

IMG_3669.jpg

IMG_3670.jpg

Cut it off.

IMG_3671.jpg

Tacked it in place.

IMG_3672.jpg

I hope that is correct way to do it. Strut rods still need to be addressed along with boxing all of it back in, but it's FN late.

Front frame horn tacked in on one side

IMG_3674.jpg

IMG_3673.jpg

And that is 9 months of work in 10mins worth of posting ha ha! After this, it is off to the new owner's house, and he is going to tie up all of the loose ends on it.