Thx guys.

Edited by Sudo
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you still have the J13 engine available?

Thanks,

Keith

I think so. I should know for sure if the guy is going to take it or not by Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Sorry Sudo I got side tracked,is the motor still in your garage or did someone follow thru for you? I thought I had a friend who drives frieght trucks who could make the connection but he came back sayin no can't pull it off. Soooo let me know whats up, my cel# 805-801-5301 and I will watch for a post, thanks Sudo gotta save this stuff!

Thanks for the responses guys. The engine is being put to use and is no longer available. --- that is the short story.

The long story is the L20b frankenmotor is going into the 78 dime and the j13 is being rebuilt and will be going back into the 520. --- that is the medium story.

I don't think anyone really cares about the long story.... :-)

Oh now, I care. I have been waiting for you to update you 520 page for a while now. Rebuilding the J13? I thought that was cost prohibitive? I had a Datsun Mechanic locally here tell me not to bother because there are no longer original parts. I find that a bit overstating. If a rebuild cost $1000 and he wants $1500 to swap in an L motor, plus I have to buy the L motor and freshen it, it seems I would be in it for twice as much. I don't mind not having a lot of horse power. I just want a reliable rig that doesn't leak more oil than BP in the Gulf. Update your story when you get a chance!

@ boxboy == LOLz!! I will update me story ASAP. I originally got told the same thing = rebuilding the J13 was cost prohibitive for the HP, u might as well put a modern (OHC) engine in there... well that is all well and good and it can be done. 2 things altered my path though.

1) I found a 78 "510" that has a blown head gasket on the L20b, and my rebuilt L22b would drop right into - so I'm going to do that

2) I found an engine builder that is more of an artist than an engineer. (I'm an engineer so I can say those types of things- no offense) but the guy just "gets it". I told him I was thinking of buying this "510" with a blown head gasket but didn't want the project headache and he said "well why dont we rebuild the j13?" I put up all my objections as to why not, he said to bring him the motor and he'd call me in a couple days. Long story short - he says for ~$750 he can rebuild it.

I have no fab that needs to be done now == it is a drop in deal for both vehicles. Done and done!

So, ~$750 for a rebuild on a J13? Most people might find that cost prohibitive. I spent ~$900 on the L22b... If I had more tested, tried, and true fab skillz; I'd just replace the head gasket in the "510" and drop the L22b in the 520. But the way I look at it: I'll have 2 practically brand new vehicles for ~$ 3000. (and no car payments) and no fab needed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.