Hard body pinion yoke exchange

Archie

Hello All,

I need to exchange the pinion yoke to match the slightly larger driveshaft end that I got from the junk yard.(my stock u-joints are shot-cheaper to buy a used shaft with good stock u-joints).

Does anyone know the torque on the pinion nut, the size of the nut(I don't have any large metric sockets/will have to borrow one) and are there any issues I need to be aware of?? Do I have to worry about reseting the pinion gear tolerances?

Thank all for any/all replies!!!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The U-joint kit at the dealer is about $70 for all three. How is this worse than a lack of proper tools, a too big driveshaft, with used ones, that doesn't fit the yoke? Take it back and go to NAPA (which is cheaper) and get new ones and spend part of a morning replacing them.

All you need is a hammer and a screw driver

Sorry Mike,

I wish you were right. Evidently you have not had the opportunity to work on one of these set ups.

I went to the dealer, and Napa, and Advance, and others. The stock u-joints are "pressed" in. There are no grooves for replacement snap rings to go in, or fit inside of the yoke. These guys couldn't even come up with the right size u-joint, including the dealer(s)!!!!! A local drive shaft company wanted $400 to repair it!!! Basically changing the yokes to accept an aftermarket u-joint. The truck is a beater-didn't want to spend that on it.

Actually, I skinned this cat once before (see old post) and after looking at the shaft again this morning, I find that the u-joints are nice & tight. One of my tack welds is loose, which is allowing the joint to move a little, causing the vibration. Time to break out the welder & repair.

I could have saved me $40 if I looked a little closer in the beginning!!! :blink:

Oh well, I guess I have a spare since I drilled & tapped in grease fittings into the u-joints ;) Anybody want a good 2 piece drive shaft :)

Anyway, thanks Mike.

THX...AL

Say no more! I had a new '67 B-210. The joint went and whaddya know? I couldn't change them. Man I was pissed at Nissan for that.

Is your Hardbody a 4 cylinder? The drive shaft you got may be for the VG. Also the rear ends used were H-190, C-200 and the H-233. The H-190 was for Z24i motor, C-200 for KA and Z24i 4X4 and the H-233 for all VG 2wd and 4x4.

You got it, the shaft I got came from a VG equipped truck. I thought an automatic was an automatic was an automatic. Heck I measured the drive shaft length and the size of the u-joints before I bought the used one. Never considered measuring the pinion yoke plate. :(

I, like you, was pissed at Nissan too. But I gotta say, the original u-joints lasted over 300,000 miles :). Never had any other vehicle( I have had many) have u-joints last anywhere near that. And I kicked this truck's ass all the time too.

Broke out the welder - all is well again.. :)