air filter

ok, my quest for an open element type air filter for my datsun has failed.

does anybody know what will work? where i could find one?

is the only way to get rid of the ugly stock airfilter to run a webber? im not so sure i want to go that route anymore cause my carb works really good actually.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

K&N. Take off your air cleaner, measure the opening on the bottom, or the top of the carb, and then pop on over to Lordco or whatnot and ask for a filter with that size opening. If they don't have anything exactly that size, get something a touch smaller and just stretch the rubber a bit over the carb, or a little bigger and clamp it down firmly. Smaller is likely a better option though, just to make sure the seal is there. It won't be perfect, but it'll work.

You'll probably have to go with a low cylindrical filter though, or a stubby cone one. There's only a few inches of clearance... I think the filter on mine is about 6" wide and maybe 4" tall... maybe a little taller.

The stock hitachi sits high and has a wide opening that makes it hard to fit anything.I am constantly doing little projects.If you want I could fab up a fiberglass base to go with a short rectangular filter.I made one for my holley 5200 carb and it worked well.$25 shipped?Either way I think I will do it for s.a.g.What carb do you have?Is there a post for the stock aircleaner in the center?

actually i dont think there is a post i think its in the container of the air cleaner.

not sure what carb i got.. dont even know what head i have.

i found a rubber one that looked like this in my friends wrecking yard once but i sold it with the truck. not sure what it came from all i know it was a tight fit

DSCF0007.jpg

I can almost make out the head model by the stamp to the bottom left of that front spark plug there.Im gonna make one tomorrow hopefully.If so I will post up some pics.

The hitachi opening is almost twice as large as the vw solex.You might be able to make one work for a hitachi.I hacked up my vw open air cleaner to fit my holley and it sucked so I made the lower mount for a weber aircleaner.

The early hitachi seals on the sides of the opening neck.The later had a top mount gasket.

So here is what I have so far.It turns out the short air filter is smaller all the way around so it looks funky in there.The base is sheet metal molded with fiberglass filler and epoxy.The neck is from the stock one as well as the clamp.Pretty solid and should work well but it is not an exact replica of the top.I will sand it smooth and paint it black and run some bolts through it.

2007_1129Image0012.jpg

2007_1129Image0014.jpg

2007_1129Image0013.jpg

2007_1129Image0011.jpg

• 2 weeks later...