On the Hinge of Insanity

So today was my first day back to college from spring break. I had one class I needed to go to; a required health class from 9:30 to 10:20, how fun. I walk out to my car just to start it and warm it up at around 8:45. I always leave extra time because lets be honest I drive a Datsun you never know what is going to happen. I sit down and turn the key and the car jumps to a start then the RPMs drop and it shuts off. Like always my car doesn't start the first time, it doesn't like to cold start ever. So, I pump the gas to the floor and try a second time that's when I hear my least favorite sound, "click, wroung, wroung". The battery is dead, or dying. I proceed to get out and start to push my car down the driveway. After huffing and puffing I jump in and try to start it. Turns out I didn't get it moving fast enough and the resistance of 4th gear is too much and slows the car down immediately. I get out again and start pushing the car back up the driveway in hopes of starting over and gaining some speed. In the process of pushing back the door swings open because it did not latch all the way. The car continues on it's trajectory as I watch in slow motion the door catching on a near by bush and opening all too far. Then another sound you never want to hear the door "creeks" as it tweaks the metal right where the door and front quarter meet. The good thing is that the car did stop and the door wasn't ripped off. None the less, when I go to close the door it isn't hanging right anymore... So I decide to just push the car into the garage and put it on the trickle charger and not go to class. As I open the garage I see my parents electric car sitting there. I wonder, "did my mom not go to work today?" As quickly as I can I grab the keys to the electric car and dash to school about 5-8 minutes from my house. I get to class and wait 15 minutes for the teacher to show up because I'm way to early like always. The teacher comes in and gives us an assignment to write a couple of paragraphs about yourself that is due Friday and gives us the syllabus. After talking for only about 15 of the 50 minutes of allotted class time she lets us go. I come home and finish pushing my car into the garage until my legs feel like Jello. I hook up the charger and it instantly starts charging at 5 amps. I take a body hammer to the tweaked metal on the door and pound it back into place. In the process I find some more bondo on my door and chip some of the loose stuff off. After deciding that I don't want to deal with the hinges today, I tape, sand, and primer up the small part of the door. I moap back inside and turn on my computer and think about all the different factors of this truly shitty morning. The bush stuck out too far, I lubricated my hinges not to long ago, school was pointless today, I didn't know that the electric car was here, and most of all the battery that I bought at the pull apart was supposed to be good for 50 months starting July of 2007. So, I sit here on April 5th 2010 kicking myself for not just buying a new battery sooner.

-Aron C.

I know I like stories that have pictures so here you go

IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2242.jpg

IMG_2243.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic