KA24 into 520? w a formal introduction

pucancakes

heres a summed up version of my truck. i bought couple years back from marvin (some of u sd people might know). not running, everything still in the engine bay though, rust spots here and there, damage on the driver side door. the way i see it a rolling chassis because everything is gonna get replaced. originally he was suppose to put in a l20b into it. lets just say i lost money on my end because i cant find him or get a hold of him. so i pretty much got discouraged and the truck has sitting in the garage since.

i recently found one of my favorite old school cars (toyota 1975-78 corolla sr5 aka te37). i was gonna pick it up and get rid of the 520 but the deal breaker was that it was a 76 which means smog. BOOOOO. i dont wanna deal with that because that means no matter what engine i put in, it has to be smog compliant still. stupid CA smog. i decided to keep the 520 and use the money that was gonna be spent on the te37 to get my truck finally running. haha. now i want to put in a ka24 since the j13 is crap to me. i spent pretty much the whole night on reading (searching) up about the swap here. from what i found majority has been done on 620s and 510s. i saw a couple 520/521 threads but none completed so im looking for a some help.

i know the ka24de has more power that the ka24e but what about the oilpan issue? most likely ill find a ka24de from a 1991+ 240sx instead of a frontier. should i stick with the ka24e just because of the rear sump oilpan?

is it possible to use the ka24e bottom end with a ka24de head or its not worth the hassle?

aside from the motor and transmission, what other things do i need/pull off from a doner? wiring harness? ecu? fusebox? i pretty much wanna put together a shopping list of the parts that i need from different cars or if itll be better/easier to pick up a doner and take everything i need from it.

i also know i dont wanna extend the firewall. the furthest ill go is using a bfh and going to town on it, so ill use an electric fan and the suggested vw rabbit radiator unless i can find a decent aftermarket radiator or which ever radiator u guys suggest i should use.

is it possible to run the stock ac? it starts to get hot here in temecula during the spring and the heat ends in late fall.

and of course the easiest option for me, is there anyone around my area interested in doing the swap for me? lol

i know i have a few more questions in the back of my head that i cant think of but ill post them up as time goes by. thanks in advanced

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that bad of a swap one thing i had a hard time with was the dam engine pads,the 520 has sh!t for a mount,I should have found a 521 and cut out the engine mount pads that will help alot with the swap for the KA/SR and the l motor. Pulling the cab opened it up alot,I wouldn't do it any other way, gives you access to the tranny too.

Before i pulled my cab i marked on the frame were the firewall sat to reference for clearence. I have about 1/2in clearence with the SR stuffed in there.

Dont really know much about the ka I almost got one to swap in but it should be the same length as the sr, I have a 3in radiator with the E.fan in the grill. If you go with a vw you should have plenty of room for the fan.

After you get past that it's pretty easy then just laying everything all out fuel lines,harness,relays,ecu,running the intake and the exhaust there is room to go 2.5in out.

You can read my build and see what all i did for my swap or pm me and i can help with what i know. GL with it.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/14007-my-sr-520-build/

i know the ka24de has more power that the ka24e but what about the oilpan issue? most likely ill find a ka24de from a 1991+ 240sx instead of a frontier. should i stick with the ka24e just because of the rear sump oilpan?

The Hardbody also used the DE motor (with throttle chamber intake) with rear sump. Unfortunately that sump won't fit the DE 240sx engine. You could put the car intake on the truck motor.