front block cover issue

Kelly

hey guys, will a front cover from a 74 L16 fit right on to my 79 L20B? i think its the same block but im not sure if the bolts will all line up, also, do all model years use the same camshaft? because the junkyard has a 74 620 with a perfect one which would be an awesome replacement to my ripped up one!

Thanks for your help!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The L20b block is 3/4" taller than the L16 block, so the timing covers do not interchange. If you look at the L20b timing cover, there are 2 bolts up near the top(just below the head) that go through the cover, and into the block, rather than the 1 bolt that goes through at the top of the L16. The L18 and L16 timing covers interchange, the L20b does not.

The camshafts also vary. The L20b cam profile is similar to that of the cam that came in the "SSS" version of the L16. They are swappable, but I don't think you'd be happy with the result of swapping a stock L16 cam into an L20b motor.

If the 1974 620 has the original motor it will be a L18 and not interrchangable. I think Datsun_Parts LLC has these covers for sale. He is a member on ratsun and a seller on ebay. I have bought other stuff from him and came fast and looked great.