king pin questions

oneslick720

So since i just recently picked up my 2 521s i dont know so much about the older datsun trucks...

1.. what exactly classifies as a king pin set up what makes it different

2.. what does it take to swap it over to 720 control arms who has done it and is there a how to

3.. what advantages are there to doing the swap

4.. thank you guys for any info ratsun rocks and has been very helpful to me so far

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A kingpin is a type of joint used on a steering spindle, as opposed to ball joints/mono-balls. The spindle rotates about the kingpin which is situated vertically, but the suspension motion is handled by other joints, unlike ball joints/mono-balls where typically both suspension movement and steering movement are about those joints. They make the most sense in an I-beam suspension.

You either use custom-made A-arms, or you cut the entire assembly (including the tower the A-arms bolt to) off the 720 frame and weld it to the 521 frame.

I've seen folks try to just bolt the A-arms on the earlier type, but you end up with completely woky steering geometry and weird suspension angles.