z24 carb.....

nisrod720

i hav a 1985 z24 that is running like crap!!!! idle is very erratic,,,,fuel filter is new....i worked on it awile back and found the little plastic choke vaccum linkage broke..i put it back together with jb weld,,and now its broke agian!!! any ideas??? sometimes wont idle at all,,,and dies between gears to...the muffler has been removed,,,would low back pressure cause this??? any help is appreciated!!! :blink:

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i hav a 1985 z24 that is running like crap!!!! idle is very erratic,,,,fuel filter is new....i worked on it awile back and found the little plastic choke vaccum linkage broke..i put it back together with jb weld,,and now its broke agian!!! any ideas??? sometimes wont idle at all,,,and dies between gears to...the muffler has been removed,,,would low back pressure cause this??? any help is appreciated!!! :blink:

In any case,back to basics: check the valve lash and ignition timing first. Low back pressure won't affect enough to prevent it idling.

When warmed up is the choke still on??? or partially closed???

There were two different carbs used in '85. Look near the back for the electrical plug. Look like this or is it only two wires?

Z24electriccarb.jpg

Check all emission hoses for holes/leaks/missing.

Find the EGR valve, it's on the intake at the very back and looks like this:

spring040.jpg

Deposits can build up on it and prevent it closing properly. This would cause a vacuum leak and upset idle. Reach in with finger nail and lift up on the little rod sticking up and let it drop back several times to seat it. If this improves the idle it might be worth removing it and wire brushing the deposits off OR removing the vacuum line to deactivate it from working.

Remove both coil wires and place an old plug in the ends and lay on a grounded surface. Crank motor and check for spark. You can do one at a time but both coils must be firing.