720 shift lever rattles

New member, old pickup, bought for $100 a few years ago. Recently it has developed a new rattle, in the shift lever. Noisy in all gears, unless I hold some sideways pressure on the stick. I assume this is old news to some here. Is it a worn nylon bushing or some-such? Easily gotten at?

Got a call from a guy with a '69 WPL 510 who had heard from a mutual friend that I have owned a few of these wonderful wagons in the past. I would just dearly LOVE to get this one myself, but I can't have any more STUFF until I finish at least some of what I have. This one is an old, unimproved car, basically straight, and cheap. I'll post it in the cars for sale section when I have the details. Why can't I have all the cars I want, all the boats, all the bikes, . . . ????

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two styles. The top one is usually used in pre '80 shifters. The bottom ones are for '80 and on 720s.

720shifter010Large.jpg

The top kind have very small bushings with a small contact area the wears and becomes very loose. The kit for these look like this:

tranyBshifterbushingkit.jpg

The bottom shifter were much improved with a larger contact.

720shifter006Large.jpg

In both cases the very bottom cup could also be the problem if broken or missing.