1960 datsun 1200 pick up need a part

datsunbob

Hello everybody, we have a 1960 Datsun 1200 pick up plg-222 model 48hp. Unfortunatley the crankshaft cracked in half beyond repair, can anyone help me find this part for our truck, this truck was a daily driver my dad drove it everyday, we are located in the S.F. Bay area. I was wondering if the crankshaft part is the same part used for 1959-1962 C, E , E1 engines w/ 37 / 48 / 60 h.p. We have 48 h.p. I would appreciate any help out there, this truck has been sitting to long we need to get it back on the road. email me datsunbob@gmail.com w/ any suggestions.

Thanks!!

Bob

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And i quote "The C type engine used in the L210 and LG220 was a 1000cc 37 hp unit. In the PL211,PLG222,VPL221 and (W)PL310 this was replaced by the E type engine, which had 1200cc and 48hp. The C and E type engines were closely related in design, although the E type engines used a different cylinder head,block,rods and crank.

In the LG223 and (W)pl311 the E engine was replaced with the E1 type powerplant. Both engines were basically the same, although the E1 type engine used a different cylinder head to produce 60hp from it's 1200cc's.

After engine # E1-14580 a new camshaft/lifters combination was used in E1 series engines and after engine E1-152700 a revised crank and rod assembly with narrower bearings was used in the E1 engine.

In my WPl311 parts catalog it lists the crank # as 12200-4000 for the E1 engine, the C crank is listed as #12200-10200 (this is also the crank # for the E and E1 engine up to engine # 152700.

Not sure if this helps, what is the serial # on your block?

This info comes from a National Parts Bulletin dated nov15 1970 and it relates to changing early C,E and E1 engines over to later E1 full flow oil filter system.

The reason i put this info up is so that you don't end up getting a later E1 crank, it seems like it won't fit. It also seems that by putting a E1 head on you could bump the hp up to 60 from 48:o. Good luck..

I also have a counter shaft for a 223 (which i'm sure uses the same gearbox) #32211-07200 if your looking for one

Hi Bob! A 1960! Sweet. 411sss gave you awesome info. The only other thing to keep in mind 'if' you can't fix your crank, is that the J-series engines should bolt right into your truck, J13 J15 J16 J18 (The 16 and 18 were never in this country and are hard to get.) J-series came in the Datsun 520 and I think the 411 (non sss) too. The J-15 came in fork lift trucks as well. (So fork lift suppliers often have parts.)

Though I haven't seen the following done, I am pretty sure it would work: If you can't find one of those you can also grab a BMC B-series (Like in a MGB) and that also should bolt right in as the engines we are talking about were largely based on them. Same motor mounts even. And the british guys use Datsun Transmissions behind their engines. Rivergate makes adapter plates. In this case you could even get a MGB 1800 5 main engine.

WOW 411sss...that is some great info! Good job stepping in man! :cool:

It's easy when you have the info in front of you, i thank the guy that worked at a nissan dealership for 30 years and saved everything he could from the trash and then sold it to me.

I have bulletins that date back to "69 through to the mid "90's You name it , it's in there somewhere. I just hope this helps

It's easy when you have the info in front of you, i thank the guy that worked at a nissan dealership for 30 years and saved everything he could from the trash and then sold it to me.

I have bulletins that date back to "69 through to the mid "90's You name it , it's in there somewhere. I just hope this helps

My '59 has the C1 engine. But they switched to the E in 1960 I believe, but at what point I am unsure.

Speaking of manuals, did you see this little gem I picked up 411sss? I need to do a post about some of the early dealership letters that were also stuffed inside! Alas, none of the parts #s match anything I can find (Including the parts #s you so awesomely posted in my '59 thread.), so it is pretty useless , other than being cool!

MyPartsPriceList1958.jpg

My '59 has the C1 engine. But they switched to the E in 1960 I believe, but at what point I am unsure.

Speaking of manuals, did you see this little gem I picked up 411sss? I need to do a post about some of the early dealership letters that were also stuffed inside! Alas, none of the parts #s match anything I can find (Including the parts #s you so awesomely posted in my '59 thread.), so it is pretty useless , other than being cool!

MyPartsPriceList1958.jpg

Yes i did notice that little gem, would LOVE to get me hands on that;)

Thanks to everybody for the valuable information, I have the serial numbers now the plate reads 1960 PLG 222-0-00228 , the engine number of the block & plate is E05294, 48HP 1189cc, I also took the numbers off the crankshaft reads 1-1<>1220104040 . I appreciate all the assistance.thanksBob

Thanks to everybody for the valuable information, I have the serial numbers now the plate reads 1960 PLG 222-0-00228 , the engine number of the block & plate is E05294, 48HP 1189cc, I also took the numbers off the crankshaft reads 1-1<>1220104040 . I appreciate all the assistance.thanksBob

Here is an entire E1 Engine for $150!

E1 for sale

Hi Bob! A 1960! Sweet. 411sss gave you awesome info. The only other thing to keep in mind 'if' you can't fix your crank, is that the J-series engines should bolt right into your truck, J13 J15 J16 J18 (The 16 and 18 were never in this country and are hard to get.) J-series came in the Datsun 520 and I think the 411 (non sss) too. The J-15 came in fork lift trucks as well. (So fork lift suppliers often have parts.)

Though I haven't seen the following done, I am pretty sure it would work: If you can't find one of those you can also grab a BMC B-series (Like in a MGB) and that also should bolt right in as the engines we are talking about were largely based on them. Same motor mounts even. And the british guys use Datsun Transmissions behind their engines. Rivergate makes adapter plates. In this case you could even get a MGB 1800 5 main engine.

Fish,

I read your story on your find backin December, I saw the start up of your engine on you tube, that engine sound we haven't heard for a while, I was wondering during your research are the MG motors matching ours at all, I saw you were doing some research and found similiarities I thought anyways. Also have you seen on line there is a 59 like yours out I think in L.A. I spoke to the wholesaler selling it I think originally he posted it @$18k, then $11k, now $8k. A little steep.

later

Bob

Fish,

I read your story on your find backin December, I saw the start up of your engine on you tube, that engine sound we haven't heard for a while, I was wondering during your research are the MG motors matching ours at all, I saw you were doing some research and found similiarities I thought anyways. Also have you seen on line there is a 59 like yours out I think in L.A. I spoke to the wholesaler selling it I think originally he posted it @$18k, then $11k, now $8k. A little steep.

later

Bob

Hey bob! Thanks man, I still can't believe my luck on the '59! If the one you are talking about is the red one for sale, it has been mentioned a few times here on Ratsun. Yeah it needs to come down a lot more I think. The most I've seen one sell for was like $3000 and often sell for 1k or less for non runners. I've seen folks try to get more, but it doesn't seem to happen. There is one exception where a restored 58-59 truck sold at auction for over 20k.

I am not 100% on the MG motors as I have never seen one swapped into a Datsun, but I am pretty darn sure it would work. Comparing pictures shows how close they appear. They are close enough that MG guys have been known to take the heads from Datsun J and E series and bolt them to their MGB blocks for some instant HP. And the motor mounts look to be in the exact place. Also your 1960 should have the earliest e-series made, so I imagine would be very close to the original BMC B-series 1500 source. Essentially you have the generation right after mine. Mine is basically a destroked BMC b-series 1500, so I'd think yours is too? You should even be able to use your original Datsun valve cover if you buy an entire British engine. (Depending on which BMC you get.)

I am just not sure if it would bolt up to your Datsun's transmission (do you still have the column shift?), but as I mentioned MG guys run Datsun Transmissions with adapter plates. And possibly the plate on your block would bolt to the MG block, if it wasn't already a natural fit?

I have wondered if a 3 bearing main MGB crank would fit in a Datsun block. That would be worth looking into for you. As 411SSS mentioned, there were a lot of little changes to the block internals of these Datsun engines, but you just might get lucky if you can find a cheap british B-series crank! I would look for the earliest B-series BMC 1500 you can find. A Nash Metropolitan or a austin a40 or A50 might be a good place to look. I am not sure how much the B-series evolved over the 30 to 40 years they used it, but it eventually wound up with a 5 bearing main, which naturally wouldn't work in your 3-main E block.

If you can find a MG garage, they might let you compare your broken crank with a MG one?

If you want to get really crazy, start looking into MGB cross flow head swaps! I have wondered how they would work on our Datsun copies! Then we can start dreaming of Moss superchargers too! Those british guys have done just about everything possible to squeeze a few more HP out of those engines! And on the BMC A-series (little different than our B-series clones) they are even putting BMW K-series motorcycle twin cam heads on the british blocks!

MAG58 is a great member to talk to about british stuff, he opened up that whole world to me. But to sum up, I haven't tried it, nor seen it done, so this is all theory. (But it is pretty sound theory.) One of us has to blaze new ground, and since you are the guy who needs a new crank, go for it! :D

Hey bob! Thanks man, I still can't believe my luck on the '59! If the one you are talking about is the red one for sale, it has been mentioned a few times here on Ratsun. Yeah it needs to come down a lot more I think. The most I've seen one sell for was like $3000 and often sell for 1k or less for non runners. I've seen folks try to get more, but it doesn't seem to happen. There is one exception where a restored 58-59 truck sold at auction for over 20k.

I am not 100% on the MG motors as I have never seen one swapped into a Datsun, but I am pretty darn sure it would work. Comparing pictures shows how close they appear. They are close enough that MG guys have been known to take the heads from Datsun J and E series and bolt them to their MGB blocks for some instant HP. And the motor mounts look to be in the exact place. Also your 1960 should have the earliest e-series made, so I imagine would be very close to the original BMC B-series 1500 source. Essentially you have the generation right after mine. Mine is basically a destroked BMC b-series 1500, so I'd think yours is too? You should even be able to use your original Datsun valve cover if you buy an entire British engine. (Depending on which BMC you get.)

I am just not sure if it would bolt up to your Datsun's transmission (do you still have the column shift?), but as I mentioned MG guys run Datsun Transmissions with adapter plates. And possibly the plate on your block would bolt to the MG block, if it wasn't already a natural fit?

I have wondered if a 3 bearing main MGB crank would fit in a Datsun block. That would be worth looking into for you. As 411SSS mentioned, there were a lot of little changes to the block internals of these Datsun engines, but you just might get lucky if you can find a cheap british B-series crank! I would look for the earliest B-series BMC 1500 you can find. A Nash Metropolitan or a austin a40 or A50 might be a good place to look. I am not sure how much the B-series evolved over the 30 to 40 years they used it, but it eventually wound up with a 5 bearing main, which naturally wouldn't work in your 3-main E block.

If you can find a MG garage, they might let you compare your broken crank with a MG one?

If you want to get really crazy, start looking into MGB cross flow head swaps! I have wondered how they would work on our Datsun copies! Then we can start dreaming of Moss superchargers too! Those british guys have done just about everything possible to squeeze a few more HP out of those engines! And on the BMC A-series (little different than our B-series clones) they are even putting BMW K-series motorcycle twin cam heads on the british blocks!

MAG58 is a great member to talk to about british stuff, he opened up that whole world to me. But to sum up, I haven't tried it, nor seen it done, so this is all theory. (But it is pretty sound theory.) One of us has to blaze new ground, and since you are the guy who needs a new crank, go for it! biggrin.gif

Fish,

Thanks for the info, I am going to holg out for a while and hope to see if I can find the option through the Datsun connections I am meeting on line, all you guys helping me out is giving me momentum to succeed and find the part. Also, the car I mentioned was the red one on line, I wish them luck but I don't see someone paying that kind of money without any restoration of some type performed.

thanks

Bobcool.gif

Dat521,

I sent this lead an email they did not have a phone number, did not get a respoonse back regarding the Datsun 1959.5 that they had, hopefully they repost the truck again because I went back to email them again and the post has been taken off craigs list, please let me know if you see it posted again on the internet or maybe on this forum if I am lucky. Thanks again for sending mew the lead I appreciate it. The search continues.

thanks

Bob

mellow.gif

Dat521,

I sent this lead an email they did not have a phone number, did not get a respoonse back regarding the Datsun 1959.5 that they had, hopefully they repost the truck again because I went back to email them again and the post has been taken off craigs list, please let me know if you see it posted again on the internet or maybe on this forum if I am lucky. Thanks again for sending mew the lead I appreciate it. The search continues.

thanks

Bob

mellow.gif