i need a (almost) turnkey j13

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Howdy, if you are not a purist, look into getting an engine from a MGB. Your J is a very close copy of the MGB BMC B-series engines. I am 90% sure it will even bolt right to your current motormounts. Heck you could probably mod your Datsun valve cover to put back on it! Rivergate makes Trans adapters so you can even run a Datsun 5-speed on the MGB mill. British guys have been taking the Datsun J heads (and E1 heads) and bolting them to their blocks for years.

Find yourself a nice MGB 1800 5 main engine, and you even get a bit of an upgrade in power from the J13. And those british guys have been modding those engines for years.

Even if you are a purist, (And there is nothing wrong with that!)this would be a good temporary solution until you can source another J13. And a way easier swap than a L-series. And you can keep your Datto.

You can also downgrade and try to find a E1 engine out of a Datsun 320 pickup. It was a 1200, but should bolt in.

If you do any of these things, please make a project thread about it!

Wait, does your truck have a L-series or a J-series? I thought the 69 had a L-series? But I might be wrong.

Also what is wrong with your current Engine?

Wait, does your truck have a L-series or a J-series? I thought the 69 had a L-series? But I might be wrong.

Also what is wrong with your current Engine?

Good questions. The parts manual shows switching from J13 to L16 in July '69, so if this is a '72, it should be an L-motor.

You should have zero problems finding a decent L-motor in SoCal.

i have two 521's a 72 and 69. the 69 had a j13 motor in it with a cracked block. i'm trying to keep original or at least datsun.

You should think about grabbing a MGB 1500 or 1800 block. I think you could even put your J13 head back on it if you really wanted to!

Also keep you eyes out for a J15. They came in datsun forklifts and will also be a pretty direct swap.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.