Tire fitment on the rear of a Wagon

fo0manchu

just curious. I see all the ae86(corolla) guys running wheels in the rear that sit really flush with the fenders. Now the corolla's also have a rear solid axle like the wagons. How do they pull this off? I understand that when they hit a turn the tires are going up and in on whatever side is being compressed, and clearing the fender. But when both sides of the suspension are being compressed, then what?

Do they just deal with their tires rubbing all the time when they take off really hard or hit a bump?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know on the toyotas there is a lot more room under there bieng that they are two door and they have a slight flare on them stock. Even the four door TEs have alot more room for bigger wheels. The dime wagons/4doors are cursed with a super thick section and basically no flare at all. I've been dealing with it my self. I really want to flare my goon but it's so much work to do it right.

you have to roll the fenders and bash in the ridge on the inner fender.. Then you have to deal with your door... that has to be bashed out and flared as well. Then you run nice hard suspension and ta da.... your not gonna fit anything wider than a 7.5 most likely without some major mods.

I just rolled the fender lip and hammered it out a little bit. I have 15x8+0 back there with TONS of space left. I could definitely run a 225 45/50 15 on those wheels with a 2" drop, but if you wanted to drop 3" plus that wouldnt work without getting rid of that inner lip etc.

15x8 +0 is an easy fit though with a roll and a 195 50 15

I just rolled the fender lip and hammered it out a little bit. I have 15x8+0 back there with TONS of space left. I could definitely run a 225 45/50 15 on those wheels with a 2" drop, but if you wanted to drop 3" plus that wouldnt work without getting rid of that inner lip etc.

Wow thats cool. No rubbing on the inside of the body either?

I'm 4 linking my goon soon(hopefully) so I guess I would have to cut that lip out if I wanted to run bigger tires. You have pictures or your rear tire fitment?

Well let me clarify i dont think your gonna get a 15x8 O with a dumped car.. If you have some wheelgap you can stretch the tire in there.

Well let me clarify i dont think your gonna get a 15x8 O with a dumped car.. If you have some wheelgap you can stretch the tire in there.

You won't fit anything much above 7.5 +0 with a dumped wagon. 8 +0 with a more wild stretch and about the same amount of work on the fenders/doors that I have might fit... But it depends on how hard I felt like beating my car.

If you're rolling like a monster truck, you can run 15x15's for all it's worth, but it doesn't mean you're flush!

AE86's have a big flare from factory which makes flushness possible. Our fenders suck. Period.

IMG_1502.jpg

Going .5" wider would make the stretch pretty wild and the body hammering even wilder... I do still rub slightly over bigger bumps.

The issue I have now isn't at the wheel arch, but up along the side of the inner wheel wells. They curve so much, and on a 4 door/wagon, they're so reinforced that it's very hard to move them. I'll be flaring it soon.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_1502.jpg

Going .5" wider would make the stretch pretty wild and the body hammering even wilder... I do still rub slightly over bigger bumps.

The issue I have now isn't at the wheel arch, but up along the side of the inner wheel wells. They curve so much, and on a 4 door/wagon, they're so reinforced that it's very hard to move them. I'll be flaring it soon.